Hooking up HDMI DVD player to TV and Surround Sound

Username: Kevinhowe

Moore, OK United States

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone...I'm pretty new here. I just purchased a Mitsubishi 57" DLP 1080p model 57732 over the weekend. My question is this: I want to hook up a new DVD player (probably an Oppo that I haven't purchased yet) via HDMI to the TV. However, I want to watch movies in surround sound but my A/V Receiver/DVD HTIB system has no HDMI connectivity. Will running an optical audio cable from the DVD player to the AVR give me the surround sound while I supply video from the player to the TV via the HDMI?

The HTIB has 2 inputs, Video 1 and Video 2. The audio would be piped through Video 2, I think, because it says Video 2 next to the optical input. It seems like I would put the HTIB on Video 2 in order to get sound but I'm not sure how I would still see an image if the DVD player isn't feeding video to the HTIB system. Again, the HTIB has an integrated DVD player, but there seems like no way of getting HDMI from that to the TV. I'm using component right now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12186
"Will running an optical audio cable from the DVD player to the AVR give me the surround sound while I supply video from the player to the TV via the HDMI?"

Yes you can.

You can just use the audio input jacks of your AV receiver without having to connect any video feed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us