New Receiver Coupling with Older TV and DVD-R

Username: Taanzaa

Killeen, TX USA

Post Number: 8
Hi:

I'm a complete putz when it comes to A/V connections. I've read through some of the posts looking for clues as to what I should do to get my A/V center going and I did receive some good information. But, I'm still confused and need guidance. I'm accustomed to the good old analog connections that go in a loop. But, do the HD connectors work the same way?

I have 5 components (all mix and match) that I'd like to connect and hope someone is able to help me out.

As of right now I only have the HD cable set-top box, receiver and TV connected. I'd like to integrate the DVD recorder and the VCR if possible.

My components are:

TV: Polaroid FLM-2601
VCR: Sharp VC-H810
DVD: Panasonic DMR-ES20
Receiver: JVC RX-5060B
Set-top box: Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD

I currently have the DVI to DVI on TV and the audio out of the set-top and nastily split between the TV and receiver.

Any help would be much appreciated. And also could you recommend cables that I need to purchase. As of yet I have no digital cables (other than the DVI cable).

If you feel pictures would help I would be more than happy to upload some.

I was also interested in a post recently concerning the settings on the JVC receiver (by using the jog dial). When I initially attempted to connect the receiver I too was able to receive sound but no video and wonder if the setting on the receiver was my problem as well.

And please, as simply worded as possible...thanks :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1262
Lisa, first of all please look at page 7 in your DMR-ES20 manual. It shows a basic hookup incorporating the DVR and VCR. Where it says "cable from wall" substitute "cable from cable box."

So one way of doing the hookup is to connect the output of the set-top to the RF in on the DVR, then RF out on the DVR to RF in on the VCR, then RF out on the VCR to RF in on the TV. Thus

incoming cable®set-top box®DVR®VCR®TV

You will want to hook up an optical cable from the DVR's optical out to one of ther JVC's optical inputs.

You will also want to hook up the cable box's coaxial audio output to the appropriate input on the JVC.

Are you with me so far?
­

Killeen, TX USA

Post Number: 9
I am so far except for one question. Using the RF hookups will give me not so great reception right?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1263
­
Using the RF hookups will give me not so great reception right?

Your reception will be OK--it's your recording that can be improved by the use of composite/S-video lines. I suppose the final solution on hookup hinges on whether you will use the VCR for recording. If so, the question is will the DVR pass a line A/V signal through its inputs/outputs? If that is the case, then you theoretically don't have to use any RF cable beyond the cable box.

Do you have component line sets going into the TV from both the DVR and the cable box?
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1266
­
Do you have component line sets going into the TV from both the DVR and the cable box?

Sorry Lisa, I forgot you are already using DVI from the cable box, so component isn't necessary.

Killeen, TX USA

Post Number: 10
So, even though I have the set-top connected to the TV using a DVI cable I still need to connect the box, TV, VCR and DVD using the RF cable? And then use the red, white and yellow through everything to connect the receiver? I'd like to be able to receive a digital signal if possible. And pictures/diagrams would be a plus.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3175
Never use coax unless you have to, the picture quality will be inferior. Connect the box to the recorder with s-video or RCAs, preferably s-video. Connect the recorder to the TV with the triple components. To record from the box, set the recorder on whatever input you connected the box to. If you want to record analog channels, split the incoming cable to the box and recorder. If you don't want to record with the VCR, I don't know why you would with a DVD recorder, connect RCAs from the VCR to the TV.

Bronze Member

Killeen, TX USA

Post Number: 11
Ok, I have everything connected now and have sound and picture. My next question is can you split a digital signal with anything else besides a switcher? I have a receiver but, not enough inputs/outputs to split a signal. My whole purpose is to make as many components as possible receive a digital signal. Oh, and one curious thing. I connect a toslink cable from the set-top to the receiver and couldn't receive a digital signal (set-top is HD box). But, when I connected the toslink from the DVD to the receiver I was able to receive a digital signal <huh>. Don't you think that's weird?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3185
If the box has audio output settings, set the digital output to bitstream. If you have more components with digital output than you have inputs, you'll need a switcher or a new receiver. You can get a switcher for as little as $10 plus shipping at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-Digital-Audio-Selector-Switch/dp/B000034D6G

Bronze Member

Killeen, TX USA

Post Number: 12
Ok, thanks for the advice!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us