1080i vs 720p

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 23
Hi Everyone,

I was playing Xbox 360 on my HDTV and I was wondering, at what resolution should I output the video signal, 1080i or 720p? I heard somewhere that the progressive scan will get me better picture, even with a lower res. Is this true? Thanks for any and all help and Happy New Year.

Thanks, Stefan

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 900
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but this revolves around what i'm struggling with, how do you set the signal ? where is this option between 1080i and 720p ?

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 24
Hey JC,

to set the output, turn on your 360 on with no game in it and use the menu to go to the systems tab, then select video options. From there, you can select the appropriate setting.

Stefan

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1255
­
­
You set the resolution according to the number of hobbits native to your HDTV.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

.....or the number of oompa-loompas in your TV. You decide.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 25
John,

That was the most interesting thing that I've had explained to me in a long time. It was very helpful. Was that your creation, or if not, where did you find it?

Thanks, Stefan

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1256
­
Stefan, I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I wasn't making light of your question---it's just that this subject has been debated countless times, both on this forum and elsewhere on the net. You only need Google "1080i vs 720p" and see. That's how I found this:

http://neopoleon.com/home/blogs/neo/archive/2005/12/06/18198.aspx

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 901
Thanks Stefan

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 26
John,

I'm sorry that you thought that I was being sarcastic. I was genuinely helped by your post. I wish there was a way to convey my sincerity. All I can say is I am continually grateful for your help.

Thanks, Stefan

Username: Roger_ramjet

Post Number: 9
If you want to setup your 360 properly for your display...you just need to find out the native resolution of your display. Mine is 790P, so I set my Oppo for 790P...if it was 1080i, I would set my Oppo to 1080i. That way the display doesn't have to do any converting. At least thats how it works with my HDMI signal. Otherwise...just use your eyes...and decide if one looks better than the other.

I don't think it's a matter of which one is better...it's what your display is made to produce.

Cheers,
Ray
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us