No sound from surrounds when using pro logic - suggestions?

Username: Jberkowi

Post Number: 1
Hello All,
I recently purchased an Onkyo HT-S790 Home Theatre in a Box.

When using my DVD player (connected via optical to the receiver) and selecting Dolby Digital or EX, the surrounds work great. I should also mention that I've only hooked up 5 speakers - so I only expect 5.1 (not 7.1).

My question is... When I am watching television and the sound source is my cable box (connected via RCA's to the receiver - stereo only) and using Dolby Pro Logic or Pro Logic IIx - the only audio comes out of the center channel. I am able to switch this on the receiver to stereo only, but when I select Pro Logic why am I not hearing anything from the surrounds? I though the whole point of Pro Logic is that it takes a stereo signal and processes it so that you're hearing it surround sound?

Any thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon B.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1174
Just because the amp says it's on DD pro II does not mean that all content coming through will have rear effects. Sometimes you can watch a tv channel all night and only have center channel sounds. True test would be to put it on a movie channel and see. If then you do not get surround effects then one of two things is happening. The sound source from the cable box isn't even pro logic, maybe even mono. Or the setting on the amp is incorrect (which sounds unlikely considering the dvd plays all channels) Side not, you may want to see if there is a box available from the cable co. which has a digital output, either optical or coax.

Good luck and remember ALWAYS read the manuals.

Username: Jberkowi

Post Number: 2
Good suggestions. I did try some of the HBO stations and had the same issue. So I guess I'll try the cable company and see if I can get a new cable box.

Oh, and reading the manuals is my favorite part!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us