Passive sub set up

Username: Muttly

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 1
i can provide specs and details if it will help, but i was hoping to get some advice on buying and/or setting up a home theatre recevier to match an old but well loved passive sub with 2 channel inputs, a 10 inch dual voice coil sub and 12 inch passive radiator. this is my first post. i've been very impressed with what i've read so far. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1240
Greg, no offense but if this sub is "old but well loved" why do you need advice from anybody here? What is it you need to know?

Username: Muttly

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 9
Hi John, no offense taken. My main problem is the sub is passive and requires two channels of speaker wire. The home theatre receivers I am in the market for have a single rca out intended for a powered sub. I gave more detail including pics in a new thread under Subwoofers. Thanks for your time.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1241
Get that old Yammie amp and hook it up as you describe in the other thread. It will work fine, that is after you get the right volume level setting on it. And then only after you get the right crossover setting on the AVR, plus the right level set on the AVR's sub output level. This will take some time and tweaking.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1242
­
On second thought, I think there might be a possibility that the peak output on the new AVR's sub out might overload the line input on the old stereo amp. The subwoofer peak levels do vary from brand to brand on modern HT AVRs.

You might want to consider a modestly priced amp built for sub use, such as

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-802
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us