5.1 Analog, Coax or Optical?

Username: Slntdeath

Post Number: 6
My DVD Player has 5.1 Analog outputs, Digital coax out, and Optical out. The distance between my DVD player and my receiver is approximately 9 feet. What would be the optimal connection to use? I'm not a big fan of the 5.1 Analog, because of the need to buy more wires. Is there any significant difference between these three connection methods ?

Username: Slntdeath

Post Number: 7
Forgot to mention, My receiver is a JVC RX-6032V.

Username: Alanpflanz

Post Number: 4
can someone help me with puting my system in my car??

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11956
You want to put a Home Theater system in your car???

Yeah sure.

Username: Alanpflanz

Post Number: 5
na i want to put a 1200wt amp and 15" kickers. i have never put a system in before. can you still help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11957
Wrong forum alan.

go here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/4.html

They've got some good people over there.

Look for Rovin, Muddy, Chad Lee and a slew of other folks. They'll hook you up.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3160
I can't tell any difference between coax and optical. Optical is less prone to interference.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1105
On paper, there seems to be none to very little difference over small distances. I guess around 25ft or less. I prefer ( I think it's in my mind) coax because it seems a little more engaging. Have no fear though, each one will give the same effect.

Username: Roger_ramjet

Post Number: 10
If your DVD player has 5.1 analog outputs...maybe it is SACD and or DVD-A capable. If thats the case, then by all means use the analog cables. It's the only way you can get SACD and DVD-A in multi channel unless you have an HDMI cabable receiver and dvd player. Otherwise I would recommend the coax digital cable. Better sound from a coax cable than optical.

I know lots of folks would disagree with that...but ask yourself this...What is the main problem with transferring a digital signal? Is it interference? No...it's jitter. What is an optical cable made of? Glass! Which cable is likely to produce more jitter...one made of glass or copper?

Cheers,
Ray

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1280
­

Gives me the jitters just thinking about it. Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12350
That's thought provoking!

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 650
That's why I use Coax when I can.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm just surprised I haven't been flamed yet.

Some people get a bit touchy about their optical cables.

Cheers,
Ray

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1282
­
I'm just surprised I haven't been flamed yet.

That's because there was a truce declaired sometime in 2005.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ic...well,
i wasn't here in 05, so if my pots are out of line, please tell me.

If it's a joke, then ignore what I said and

Cheers,
Ray

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12352
The flame wars are usually isolated in the Satellite forums. You get a severe ribbing over here :-)

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1283
­
Yeah Ray, it was a joke. The optical/coax war could re-ignite any time. Pretty passe now. I'm waiting for a flame war more useful, such as HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray. Seems like most people are dodging the draft on that as they wait for the early adopters to decide that format war.

Yeah Berny, what is it about those people in the satellite forum? I went in there once and got singed. I stay out now.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I see LG is releasing amachine that will play both formats. I guess it's the way to go until they get it figured out.

I know that from the reviews I was reading on my Oppo before I bought it....people were saying the upconverting of the Oppo machine had a better picture than the Blu-Ray...no comment on the DVD-hd. I will say that I am amazed at the picture quality of my Oppo for a 480P dvd disc. Very nice improvement over my standard Philips and panasonic DVD players.

Cheers,
Ray

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1249
Makes a huge difference having a higher end player than an entry level 480P dvdplayer. I have the Denon 2910 and it's a huge jump over the Sony and Toshiba I have. Watched "Crank" tonight and it almost looks like I am watching it on HBO-HD it's so clear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
agreed...but the Oppo is priced like an entry level player. $149 out the door. Amazing picture and sound for the price. I am in no way affiliated with Oppo by the way. But I have been in retail, and Denon was our main line. Very nice equipment to be sure.

Cheers,
Ray

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1288
­
Ca'mon guys let's get real. There's no way any cheap Oppo DVD player, or for that matter any over-priced Denon player (now matter how good it may be) is going to match a true blue laser player (both the HD-DVD and in picture quality. You may fool yourselves into thinking you are seeing HiDef quality, but you are not. Period.

(Yes, with a good DVD player it is possible to see extraordinary video, but it is still not High Definition, no matter how many times it "upconverts.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I'm sorry....I don't remember saying I was watching high definition. I believe I said " people were saying the upconverting of the Oppo machine had a better picture than the Blu-Ray ". Is that so hard to believe?

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are having problems. Normal for any format in it's infancy.

I don't have a problem owning a "cheap" Oppo over an over priced BLu-Ray or HD-DVD that doesn't even have their sh*t together yet. Some people are happy to get a quality piece of gear, and be happy with the results until the manufacturers get their format war and gliches over with.

Next time...before you go off on a rant...maybe actually read what a post says, and give someone the benifit of the doubt that they didn't over pay for their product.

Cheers,
Ray

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1262
I don't remember saying that it was better or even on par with hd-dvd or br. If I did then excuse me, but i believe that there is not enough of a jump (like there was from sd to hd in television signals) to justify a $500-$1000 player and buying a whole new library yet. I am glad John that you are excited about HD movie content, but I am not fooled by what I see. I own a MITS CRT high end rptv that blows away most of the new technology besides higher end plasmas With the Xbox 360 and Dish hd outputting 1080i, I am telling you that the picture difference (on some dvd content not all for sure) the picture quality is not far off at all. And 1080p is not a big noticeable difference from 1080i either. The main difference is in pulled back shots with background detail. The resolution makes all the difference with those shots. But in up close shots, I really don't see a big difference at all.
Do you own a high end standard def dvd player John?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1293
­
Guys please accept my apology for my abrupt and rather rude post above. Each time I am tempted to write such a post I force myself to sleep on it first. It always comes out better the next day. In this case I didn't do that.

Ray, from what I read the Oppo is a very fine machine that does it all and does it all very well indeed. I think the greatest boon to consumers in this field is the high quality and low cost of video processing in non-pro equipment designed for home use. Even the $30 Cyberhome-type players aren't all that bad because of this fact. In any case I know that Oppo is good enough to be my main player, and it is on my list this year.

And Joseph I know that your Denon wasn't their flagship player, but it is good enough to be other company's top-of-the-line. It is on a short list of the best sub-$1000 players and I would be proud to call it my own.

I suppose we all have to come to our own conclusions based on experience. My point here is that there is no way any line doubling 480 player can equal a true 1080 source in picture detail quality. And I mean an uncompressed 1080 source, unlike most sat/cable HD signals. I have seen both and that is my conclusion. So yes Ray, it is hard for me to believe the Oppo has a better picture than Blu-ray.

Both formats have had some problems initially, but they were and are easily fixable in the second generation machines. I do believe we all will be using and enjoying one or the other format in the future. Does this mean all the DVDs we now own will become instantly unwatchable?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
No worries here John. We all have opinions...and most of the time they don't read like you would want in text format. It's the internet....it's normal.

I agree that true HD players must have the optimum picture quality...but when I read that a little old $149 machine is putting out a comparable signal, and it has excellent sacd and DVD-a, all in one machine, and now that I'm married I can't afford to but the high end stuff anymore....I had to jump on it. This little baby blows away my old Classe in sound quality on redbook cd's, and hdcd's.

I'm am old guy now, and I've learned that new technology always has problems, and is always overpriced in the beginning stages. That will change in time...no doubt. But for now...I'm very happy with my modest purchase. I also know that I don't have the best picture that my display is capable of...but I can live with that.

Cheers,
Ray

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1294
­
[CES 07] Breakthrough Tech from LG - End of Format War?
January 9th, 2007 -- By Scott Wilkinson
Peace With Honor

­Upload

Jan 8 - It's only the first day of CES 2007, and there's already some really big news. At the first press conference of the show, LG unveiled the BH100 Super Multi Blue Player, the world's first dual-format high-def disc spinner that can play Blu-ray and HD DVD titles with equal ease. Anyone waiting for a format-war winner to emerge has no more excuses.
The BH100 will be available at the beginning of February for a retail price of $1199.

Because LG started out developing a Blu-ray player, it was decided to add HD DVD to that platform. As a result, the BH100 provides complete Blu-ray interactivity using BD Java, while the HD DVD features are limited to a simple menu without all the interactivity available from that format. The design can theoretically accommodate CDs, but this
capability is not implemented in the BH100.

Video-wise, the player can output up to 1080p at 24, 30, and 60 frames per second via HDMI 1.2 (including upconverted DVDs). On the audio side, it supports the Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD, and Dolby True HD advanced codecs.

Could this signal an end to the silly, industry-damaging format war? Only time will tell, but LG's big news provides hope that peace with honor can be achieved.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1295
­
[CES 07] Warner: One World, One Disc
January 12th, 2007 -- By Scott Wilkinson
THD Disc Plays it Both Ways

Jan 10 - Just as LG has addressed the Blu-ray/HD DVD format war from the hardware side, Warner Home Video announced a software-based solution at CES. Called THD (Total Hi Def), the Warner plan combines a Blu-ray version of a program on one side of the disc and an HD DVD version on the other side, and each side can be either single- or dual-layer.

According to the studio's market research, such a disc would encourage consumers to buy a player of either stripe; in addition, it would conserve retail shelf space by not requiring stores to carry two versions of the same titles.

Joining Warner in support of the idea is HBO and New Line as well as LG, Cinram (a disc-replication company), and Amazon.com. Once the manufacturing is up and running, the three studios plan to release all new titles on THD discs with exactly the same content (including bonus materials) on each side. When asked if other studios would support the new disc, the spokesperson replied that discussions were ongoing but remained non-committal; surely, it seems unlikely that Sony Pictures and its affiliated studios would sign on.

The first commercial THD discs should be available in the second half of 2007. No specific pricing was revealed, but it was said that they would not be significantly more than current Blu-ray and HD DVD titles.
­

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1270
No problem here either John. Ray I totally agree. When dvd got poplar in the mid nineties, the players ran for 500-1000 bucks. If you take those same players against the entry level players of today, and the entry level players still win out. I will wait to see the tech mature a little before being sold on it.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1271
Also, I am bummed for those of us who bought into hd tech before the dvi/hdmi craze. We are stuck unless these players output in 1080i (which some do) this is quite annoying since we were the ones who got that market rolling in the first place. I do not have anything but comp input on the mits
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us