Need help determining optimum speaker locations for 6.1

Username: Thucar

Post Number: 1
Hello. I just ordered my very first HT set the Sony 6.1 HT-DDW880. And just now started looking around in my livingroom... and I'm lost.

I made a quick mock-up of the room to show you the layout. The room is about 20square meters or so.

Upload

The biggest concern is, that I can't really move anything out of place. The only thing I CAN do, is move the sofa out of the corner a bit, but n omore than 1 meter(about 3 feet or so). (women trouble ) So what would you do if you guys were in my shoes?

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 33
First question, are the cabinets/shelves too high to put speakers on?

If not put your front two either side of your TV or will they fit in the shelves?

Your center front will go on top of your TV.

your sub might work in the corner behind the couch, a lot of cable to get it back their though. The only other place it looks like you have a spot is on the end of the vertical shelves, a bit out of the way though.

With your real speakers and your L-couch you'd probably best with you center in the corner of the wall and 120cm wall. Left rear on the end of the 120cm wall and right rear on the other purple mark.

It's a tough room, good luck.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input. And no, there is no problem with the main speakers and center one as they will fit nicely as you sugested. But the biggest issue is with the 5th surround speaker. the one that has to go directly behind you. If I put it in the corner of the wall and 120cm wall, it will be as close as 1-2feet from my head. Isn't that a little too close? Can I put it up higher on the wall to get some distance? and if I do put it higher, do I need to direct it?

Post Number: 3
Upload
Upload

Ok, took some pictures of the room. One is taken directly from above the TV, and the other one, sitting in the corner of the sofa.

Because of the fish tank I was thinking of mounting the main speakers high up. The right hand one on the wall and the left one on top of the "cabinets,shelves,blah thing". The center speaker would go below the TV, tilted up towards the listeners head.

Now the surround ones... The 6th channel speaker should be ok if I stick it in the corner, above the ear-level I guess. But the left and right ones... one on the window, other on the small wall - those are both a bit too low so the speakers would need a stand of some kind. Could I attatch them to the ceiling somehow instead?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us