Rear projection?

pag
I am in the process of buying a new television, and have narrowed it down to three models.
1 - Mistubishi WS-48311
2 - Sony KP46WT500
3 - Toshiba 50H82

I have viewed the demo units, but if anyone has any experience with any of these and can offer any opinions or feedback it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

Sony Owner
I have the Sony KP46WT500 for 1 1/2 months now and it is great. Great picture quality even with analog cable but I will be upgrading to DTV and HD soon. The feature I like most on the 46WT500 is its Zoom modes. I use Wide Zoom for any 4:3 (full screen) sources and Full mode for DVDs. It is important to zoom/stretch a full screen source so that it is displayed in widescreen since you have a widescreen HDTV. This will eliminate the grey side bars when watching a 4;3 material maybe save you from burn-in in your screen.

Micah
I also have the Sony 46WT500 and am quite pleased with it. However, here are the facts.

The Sony is the only of the three that will downconvert a 720p display to 480p rather than upconverting it to 1080i. Granted, you can rely on your STB to convert it to 1080i, but in case you have a feed not through your STB (Xbox), you lose out on 720p games...

The Toshiba appears to be great on the surface, converting all 480i and 480p to 540p and upconverting a 720p to 1080i. However, it is missing DVI and 1394 Firewire support. Not an issue at this time, but if Hollywood gets their way soon, you'll want DVI and 1394 will let you record HD on the JVC D-VHS.

The Mits is the best of the three. It has a 64 point convergence focus, while the Sony is 128 points, but that is about the only thing in Sony's favor. Mits HDTVs are high quality sets and will give you very crisp images. Perhaps one of the biggest reasons to go with the Mits is the 49311 I believe has 3 component inputs, while most come with only 2. Trust me, you will NEED that 3rd input! Otherwise, you'll end up spending for a component switch box, and they're not cheap!

So I'd rate them the same way you numbered them. The Mits #1, the Sony #2 and the Toshiba #3.

pag
Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the Mitsubishi, but I am going to check out the Sony one more time......thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us