Need advice on set up

Username: Gixer41960

Post Number: 1
What's the best way to wire up your amp from your dvd player to get the best quality sound? I would like to get 7.1 sound from dvd audio or super audio cd's etc. Right now I have only got the left and right audio's connected but don't want to do alter it until I know which way is the right way to go.
Any help appreciated.
PS I plan to submit my home theatre once the wiring and setup is completed

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1213
Connect the coax or optical digital audio output on the DVD player to the input on the receiver.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help John.
I'll have to set all that up once I get a new hdmi cable as the one I've got is broken and have had to order a new one, so I've got amps and dvd players etc all over the place. My cabinet and projector screen are also missing in action so will submit some piccies once it's all complete and looks good.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1218
Broken HDMI cable eh?
Damaged during shipping?

Adelaide, South Australia

Post Number: 4
Either that or when it got stuck when they were trying to get it down through the wall and then finding a nail.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1219
By the way.....

I would like to get 7.1 sound from dvd audio or super audio cd's etc.

Super Audio CDs, or SACDs and DVD-Audio discs require a player that supports that format, and in most cases, a multi-wire analog connection to a multi-channel amplifier. Coax or optical will not support SACD or DVD-A playback. I have read that some universal players with HDMI outputs (like this Oppo) will play SACDs through that output, even though they're HDMI 1.1 and not version 1.2, as is supposed to be the case for the high-res audio formats. I have no personal experience with this machine. It seems like a good deal, though.

Post Number: 5
Hmm that's interesting that the Oppo is able to do 5.1 SACD through the HDMI.
I had a look through my manual and to obtain 5.1 sound through SACD I need to connect all the analog connections.
I've bought an Integra DPS-6.7 DVD player, seems like I've wasted my money when I could have gotten something cheaper.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1225
Hmm that's interesting that the Oppo is able to do 5.1 SACD through the HDMI.

Aaron, I must say that I got that from a post on a thread I started on another forum. I have not confirmed that.

I certainly don't think buying an Integra is a waste of money. Integras, along with the better Denons and Pioneers are the biggest bang for the money, imo.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the link to the other thread John, it certainly was interesting reading.

I hadn't heard of Integra before splashing out on a new system, I have, however, heard of Onkyo and knew that they were a good system. The picture quality is amazing, which makes up for it being a little slow when turning on and ejecting etc.

It's a bit hard in little old Adelaide, we're certainly not inundated with the latest and greatest. That also goes for Australia as a whole, we usually don't get things down here until long after the States and Europe etc.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1229
It's a bit hard in little old Adelaide

From your point of view maybe, but you don't know how much I envy you. I'm in the wine business and one of my dreams is to visit the great center of Australian red wine production. Yes there's quality vineyards all over southern Australia, but for me to see the McLaren Vale, the Clare and Barossa Valleys would be a huge dream come true. Also, I understand the restaurants have improved in Adelaide a lot over the last 10+ years.

Upload

Post Number: 7
The restaurants are certainly getting better however some are now becoming the coffee style alfresco setup due to it being the fashion here at the moment.
I do love my red, the Clare and Barossa wines are my favorites, I haven't really found much in the McLaren Vale area that I like.
My fiance and I alway love going to the Barossa and buying a Metala Shiraz from Saltram Wines. I bought her a bottle of Grange for her 30th a few years ago (I won't say how many but it's a few)
But I digress, hopefully tomorrow the guys will be back and finish putting in another HDMI cable and put up the big screen so that I can take some pictures of it.
I can't wait.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us