Monitor Audio Silver Series vs. Focal JM Labs Chorus

Username: Pasar

Oregon City, OR USA

Post Number: 2
Hi Guys,
I have been reading, researching and auditioning for a while and now I'm ready to buy my first HT system...I would love to hear what you guys think, especially re: speaker packages.

Room Size: 19' wide x 25' long x 8-12' high (cathedral ceiling)
Listening/Viewing distance: 12'
Typical Use: Music 40%, Movies: 30%, TV 30%

System under consideration
AVR: NAD T773 or NAD T763
Display: Pioneer PDP-5070HD or Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD
Sub: Hsu STF-2
Speakers Option 1: Monitor Audio Silver Series (from Saturday Audio's Clearance Sale)
Front - S6
Center - SLCR
Rear - S2 (I originally plan for S1 but they only have only S2s left)

Speaker Option 2: Focal JM Labs Chorus Series(from local store in Oregon)
Front - Chorus 716 S
Center - Chorus CC 70 S
Rear - Chorus 705S

Thanks,
Pam
}

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11784
Either one of the NAD is an excellent choice. Be aware however, that there are units of those particular models that have been reported with humming issues. I do not believe it is widespread and NAD will try to help if you have that issue, but just be aware. I have the 773 and it is a wonderful receiver.

As far as the speakers are concerned, I prefer the JM Labs over the Monitor Audio. I think the JM sounds "sweeter". You have to listen for yourself using the music you are accustomed to playing. This will enable you to hear various nuances and enable you to make an informed decision.

Username: Pasar

Oregon City, OR USA

Post Number: 3
Berny,
Thanks for your input...I too think JM Labs sounds sweeter but my husband prefers Monitor Audio. I'm sure he can be convinced to go my way, if he can have a new source!
Curious...what speakers/sub you use with your 773?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11796
I used to have the Sonus Faber Cremona connected to it. However, nowadays it is driving Axiom M80s. I am now using the Cremonas with Outlaw Audios.

A friend of mine had JMLabs with a 773. I think they are a great match.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us