Cables

Jeffrey
Need some opinion on cabels for my system. Do I really need to go all out and get Monster THX for the speakers? I don't mind spending it on for the video connection but what is a good cable that will leave some $ in the bank?

superfecta
No.Standard cables work fine in most instances.Get the cheapest you can find.Speaker wire should be 16 to 12 gauge.The only thing you may get is noise from an unshielded source,but that is rare.Most electronics and speakers are well shielded from interference nowadays.Save your money.

Absolutely save the money. Get 14 or 15-gauge wire at Radio Shack or Home Depot, and you're all set. For video, take the same approach: Something decent, but not over-the-top. (Like $20). While superpremium cables are great, they're just not worth the money. And in the case of video, there are far more sources of interference and signal loss at other points in the system than the final cable. Obviously, you don't want to cheap out, but overkill is a total waste of money.

Jeffrey
Thanks for the feedback - thats what I did and its sounds great!

The Doctor
I got a 50' 14 guage speaker wire (oxygen free) which I was told is good, from Walmart, the car audio dept. I got the roll of 50' for only 9.99
it's GREAT compared with the wire that came with my Onkyo HT S650, anyone knows if the oxygen free is better or the same ?

Yes, oxyen free copper (OFC) has less resistance to the electric current, hence better singal conduction, hence higher fidelity. Bearing mind though, there are no such thing as totally oxygen free copper, but 99.9999% OFC is near (and good) enough.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us