Odd shaped living room speaker arrangements

Username: Robmarcrich

Silverdale, Washington

Post Number: 1
I have an oddly shaped living room and I needed to maximize the space I do have for the new Nintendo Wii my wife bought me for my b-day/anniversary. I am stumped now as to how to arrange the speakers for the best sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Living in military houseing has its limitations on what I can do. I have attached a crude drawing of the living room and how it is set up as of now. Thanks alot.Upload

Username: Gixer41960

Adelaide, South Australia

Post Number: 3
Rob,
is there any reason why you can't put the tv where the book case is so that you could at least centralise all the sound?
I don't know if that will help at all but is a possible suggestion

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1215
Robert, last week when I saw your diagram it reminded me of my original surround setup. Substitute a fireplace where your patio door is and substitute a patio doorwhere your bookcase is and you have the same setup. Even though I knew an ideal room setup would not be possible, I nevertheless experimented with that setup whithin
practical limits.

First, I placed the sub behind the TV. This yielded more bass and got the sub out of sight at the same time. This does eliminate easy adjustment of the sub's controls, but by this time you sould have that resolved anyway.

Second, I tried to place the left front speaker as far left of the TV as I could.

Third, I moved the center speaker as far right as practical on the TV stand. Maybe as far right as the TV stand will allow.

Fourth, I moved the right front speaker as far right a the setup would allow, may at he left corner of the bookcase. I ended up turning the right front speaker's volume up to facilitate balance.

This will stretch the front audio field towards the right of the picture, but at least there is a discernable soundstage even if it isn't centered on the picture.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us