New Onkyo HT-S894 system and HDMI connection?

Username: Nutzzer

Post Number: 1
All,

Just purchased the Onkyo HT-S894 system and I'm kinda confused with the setup. The receiver has 2 hdmi in and 1 hdmi out.
I want to connect the dvd player and cable box via hdmi to receiver and hdmi out to my tv. Do I need to connect a seperate digital audio cable from my dvd and cable box to my receiver? Will the HDMI cable do everything for me regarding the video and take advantage of my receiver 5.1 speakers surround sound and audio goodies?

Now since all my connections is focused on my receiver, what happens if I don't want to turn on my receiver and I just want to watch cable tv via my tv speakers? Is that possible?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Nut

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1192
Sam, the Onkyo receiver that comes with your home theater system (HTR640) will recognize and process digital audio signals coming over the HDMI cable. Be sure to set the DVD player's audio output to "bitstream" if that setting exists in the players setup menu. There may also be setup issues with your cable box with regard to the digital audio going out on its HDMI output.

Since the Onkyo's power has to be on in order for the HDMI signal from the cable box to be sent to the TV, other hookups must be made if you don't want to have to turn on the Onkyo everytime. You could run component+audio from the cable box to the TV, and then switch to that input on the TV when the external surround system is not being used.

Username: Seminatd

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
Need Help
Purchased Onkyo HTs797C sound sys., and Mits WD57732 TV. Cannot get Surround to work on TV and not all speakers work at same time on DVD, This is Set up...Have coax going from DVD to Receiver, 3 prong plug (red, blue, yellow) going from DVD ro receiver, Cable from )Power box(strip) to TV nothing from receiver to TV, have 2 prong audio from DVD to receiver - please help hook up correctly...

Username: Nutzzer

Post Number: 2
Thanks John,

I will do the setup as you suggested. I've read that others have setup issues when trying to plug the cable box to the receiver via hdmi. Is that normal?
Just one more question, the audio via the hdmi cable will be just as good as a optical or coaxial digital audio cable?

Thanks for your answer!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1197
I've read that others have setup issues when trying to plug the cable box to the receiver via hdmi. Is that normal?

The real potential problem isn't usually between the receiver and the cable box, but rather between the cable box and the TV, regardless of whether the receiver is between them or not. As time passes this may not be so common as the cable box makers and the cable companies get their firmware straightened out. I shouldn't imply that there's not a potential problem with certain TV models either. When powered up, HDMI requires a "handshaking protocol" wherein each device identifies itself and its capabilities to the other connected devices. Occasionally there's a glitch with this ID protocol.

Just one more question, the audio via the hdmi cable will be just as good as a optical or coaxial digital audio cable?

Yes, absolutely.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1198
Dawn, you might get more response on this board it you start your own thread. Anyway I will try.

Cannot get Surround to work on TV

You don't mention a cable box being present. If so, you will want to feed the R/L audio output from the TV into the receiver in order to hear audio on the cable channels on your Onkyo system.

and not all speakers work at same time on DVD

You have to program the Onkyo to recognize the digital audio output via coax coming from the DVD player. Then you will hear the Dolby Digital (or DTS) surround that is on DVD movies. It looks like you are actually hearing the 2 prong audio from DVD to receiver. This connection isn't necessary.

One thing unclear is how the video from the DVD is being fed into the TV. You have the 3 prong plug (red, blue, yellow) going from DVD ro receiver (do you mean red green blue?), and then nothing from receiver to TV??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us