No cable Box

Username: _omega_red_

NC

Post Number: 1
Hello all.

This is my first post and I need some advice. I purchased a complete Phillips/Magnavox Home Entertainment Center (TV, TV stand and the DVD/receiver)recently. I can get sound from the DVD/receiver, DVD sound is great and so are radio stations. I was reading that in order to get surround sound the component needs to plugged into the receiver; however, I have no cable box just the cable directly into the TV. I tried the setup according to both manuals but all I get is a loud humming sound. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Travis M.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1189
Connect the TV's audio line outputs to the DVD/receiver's audio inputs.

NC

Post Number: 2
There is no audio output on the TV, that is what makes this so complex.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1190
Travis, the next best thing is to use a VCR. If you've got an old one around---it doesn't even have to play or record---what you want to use is its electronics. You run the cable through the VCR to the TV, and when the VCR's power is on you can use the audio outputs (hopefully it is a stereo VCR) to feed the audio sugnal to the ent. center.

NC

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the reply John. I don't have a VCR at the moment but I will try to borrow one just to see if it works. I have a DVD recorder but I don't think the cable can be plugged into it. Seeing how inexpensive VCRs are if it works I may just buy one of those.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3145
You can use a DVD recorder. I don't know if you'd want to have it on every time you are watching TV though as DVD recorders tend to run hot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us