HDMI Question

Username: Pjtroy34

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Sony KDS-55A2000 SXRD HDTV and Sony DVP-NS75H DVD Player. The TV has an HDMI input and the DVD Player has an HDMI output. I'm now looking at buying a surround sound system and am wondering if I need to find one with HDMI in/out as well.

I realize that in theory I should go from the DVD HDMI-out to the receiver HDMI-in and then from the receiver take the HDMI to the TV, but in all actuality is this needed? Can someone make a recommendation for me based on my setup/needs?

Here is my setup:
-Currently I'm a cable subscriber, but not a digital cable subscriber (long story). I will upgrade in the future (I'm trying to make the best choice for both present and future).
-DVD Player mentioned above.
-TV mentioned above.

I was looking at getting the Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB, but noticed that it doesn't have HDMI inputs or outputs. If I buy this will I be missing out on anything?

If I buy an HDTV indoor antenna to receive over the air HD does this affect anything?...not sure how receiver works then.

Since I just bought the TV capable of 1080P and the DVD player capable of 1080I I really don't want to hose anything up because I buy the wrong receiver.

As you can tell I'm a novice with all of this.

Thanks in advance for the help/insight.

Post Number: 2
Not that it matters, but I forgot about the kid's Nintendo Gamecube.

Post Number: 3
Basically I guess my question comes down to this:
-If I upgrade to HD service from my cable service or DirectTV will I regret not having an HDMI in/out on my receiver?
-If I don't upgrade to HD service does HDMI in/out on a receiver mean anything?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1186
Troy, at least for the time being, there is no need for having a receiver with HDMI other than for convenience. If you upgrade your cable box to HD, and if it has an HDMI output, then you have a problem because you are already using your TV's sole HDMI input for your DVD player. With a receiver that has 2-in-1-out HDMI, then you could use that for switching between the two HDMI sources. There are more and more outboard HDMI switchers on the market that you could add later, so I wouldn't obsess about receivers with HDMI.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001 &p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style=

"-If I don't upgrade to HD service does HDMI in/out on a receiver mean anything?"

Eventually, all receivers will be able to recognize the digital audio surround signal being conveyed by an HDMI cable. This would save you from having to hook up any other cable to feed the digital audio signal to the receiver. Right now, all but the upper-end HDMI receivers simply pass the HDMI signal through unchanged and unprocessed as is the case with a simple switching device.

Username: Tech_junkie

Post Number: 4
I know that this is a late reply to this thread but the KDS-55A2000 has 2 HDMI inputs.

For what it's worth, I just purchased a Sony STR DA3200ES receiver, which has 2-in and 1-out HDMI connectors and it is awesome.

I might also suggest Definitive Technologies ProCinema 1000 series for your speakers if you have not already purchased them. You will not be dissapointed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us