HDMI vs component for digital cable, receiver, DVD combo

Username: Griggs

Post Number: 1
Any suggestions greatly appreciated...
Sharp Aquos 1080i TV. HD cable box and up-converting Samsumg R135 DVD. Both hooked up to Yamaha receiver, with component video. Yamaha hooked up to TV with component video.
1) Picture quality from cable less than impressive. What if I bypassed the receiver and went HDMI straight to TV? Distance from all components to TV is 4 feet or less.
2) DVD...should I also connect this straight to TV with HDMI? How can I get 5.1 sound from receiver if audio is going from DVD/cable box straight to TV and bypassing the receiver?
3) Cant manually set the View Mode on the TV when watching digital cable. I should have choice of 4 view modes, but it only defaults to Stretch, other options not available. I have checked the cable box options also. Am I just stuck with 4:3 aspect ratio on non-HD channels (I can use the cable box to stretch the picture on most channels, but its lousy quality) I want to use the Sharp Smart Stretch view mode, but I cant even see it to select it when watching dig cable. Very Frustrating.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 447
1. No diff whatsoever.
2. A. No. B. You cannot. - You cannot upconvert over component for that matter, so your probably only getting 480p anyway. Hook up your HDMI to your TV straight from your DVD, and then hook a digital audio (coax or optical) to your receiver for the 5.1.
3. Check you manual.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us