Audio Out on TV very weak.

Username: Hooligan

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Polaroid LCD TV (FLM-373B) and got a Sony DVD Home Theatre [Sound] System (DAV-DX315) to go with it.

I want to hook up the sound system so that whatever comes out of my TV will come out of the sound system. I hooked the red/white cables to the back of the TV's Audio Out jacks and then hooked the other ends up to the Audio In on the receiver. I turn on both units, and set the receiver to "TV/VCR" and at first I thought I was getting nothing. Come to find out, if I turn the volume on the receiver all the way up I finally get sound from the TV. Basically, I'm getting a REALLY weak signal from my TV's Audio Out.

Is this normal? When I use the receiver's built-in DVD player, the sound is perfect and I only have to turn it up to 18 or 19 and I get great audio, but with the TV signal I have to MAX out the volume in order to hear anything. What I'm afraid of, is if the DVD player ever stops working, I'll have to get a new one and have the same weak audio issue as before.

Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1175
Basically, I'm getting a REALLY weak signal from my TV's Audio Out.

Where is your TV's volume control set at during this time?

Username: Hooligan

Post Number: 2
Midway up.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1177
Amy, two more questions:

1) Are you hearing the TV's internal speakers at the same time as on the Sony's speakers?

2) Does the volume level change on the Sony speakers when you adjust the loudness level on the TV's volume control?

I took a quick look at your owners manual and two things trouble me about it:

1) The manual makes no mention of whether that red/white R/L audio output is fixed or variable.

2) There doesn't seem to be any way to turn off the TV's internal speakers. This is a feature that's been common on better TVs for over 20 years now.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 304
Amy do you have a cable box? If yes hook up the audio from the cable box to the receiver instead of the TV.

Username: Popmanw

Lincolnshire England

Post Number: 1
Hi guys. These Tvs and audio outs are a buggar. If a TV has coaxial/optical digital audio out, will it produce sound from a DVD or VHS player that is connected via scart. I thought digital sound only worked from sources i.e. the DVD player itself. Cause that means the AV scart effects the sound quality. A TV with AUX out would work on anything yeah. Please help, I want to buy a new LCD 32" TV

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1291
­
A scart connection will carry analog stereo audio only, therefore the TV will not have digital audio on its digital audio output. The scart connection will be satisfactory for hearing the TV's built-in speakers, but for an external surround audio system to work properly the digital audio signal from the DVD player should be fed directly to the amp/receiver. This is true of the VHS deck, although obviously that signal is analog stereo.

Though not within my personal experience, it is my understanding that the only time a digital signal is present on any modern TV's optical/coax output is when any such signal is sensed by the TV's tuner via its aerial socket, e.g. a digital broadcast signal carrying Dolby Digital audio.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us