Hook Up HDTV, DVD Recorder/VCR, Cable STB, A/V Receiver

Username: Angiee

Post Number: 1
Hello all--

I could use some advice on optimizing my system set up. I currently have it set up based on my limited knowlege, and everything seems to work. However, because of my HDTV viewing capabilities, I'd like to optimize my set up to get the best quality picture and sound within my current configuration. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I have:

RCA DLP HDTV HD50LPW162
Motorola STB DCT6400
Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR DMR-ES35V
Sony A/V Receiver STR-K840P (w/5.1 and DTS)
Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-NC615

So far this is what I have hooked up:

1. RF IN to DVD/VCR IN >>>> DVD/VCR OUT to STB IN >>>> STB Out to TV IN
2. STB Component Video OUT to TV Input 4
3. STB RCA Audio OUT to TV Input 4
4. STB Digital Coax OUT to A/V Reciever IN
5. DVD Recorder/VHS Component OUT to TV Input 2
6. DVD Recorder/VHS Composite OUT to TV Input 3 (needed to be able to watch a tape while recording on the DVD)
7. DVD Recorder/VHS Audio Optical OUT to A/V Reciever IN
8. CD Changer RCA OUT to A/V Receiver IN
9. All 5 speakers and subwoofer connected to the Receiver.

Note limitations:

1. Sony CD/DVD changer is used for CD only (hence only audio hook ups)
2. RCA TV and Motorola STB have HDMI inputs.
3. Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR does not support HDMI connections; only component, S-Video, and composite.
4. Sony Receiver does not support component or HDMI connections.

I think I need to run another set of composite cables also between the DVD Recorder and TV(?) or STB(?) to allow for viewing and recording, but there is not a second set of inputs on the STB.

This is why I'm thinking to connect the STB and TV with HDMI, thus freeing up the one set of composite inputs, and then everything should work.

I'm not really sure if I'm adding a lot of extra wiring for nothing. I wish I could run it all through the receiver, but that's not an option with the inputs available on it.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! I've been surfing online all day trying to find a sample diagram with the components I have, and haven't come up with anything. I tried the CEA Connections Guide website that someone posted on another thread here, but it doesn't list all of my components either. I could really use some expert knowledge here! :-) Thanks!

Post Number: 2
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 302
First step RF goes to the cable box first then to the VCR then to the TV.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3130
Don't use RF for anything you don't have to. The picture quality will be inferior and audio will be mono. Connect everything you can with line inputs/outputs.

Post Number: 3
Where the RF goes first is one point I was confused on. The STB states one thing, the DVD Recorder says another. I'm thinking that I only need the RF from the wall to the cable box just to supply the incoming signal and that's all? I then use component cables to the TV to get my HD programming. I want to try an HDMI cable, so that my only set of Audio out connectors on the STB will be free to use with the DVD Recorder, but haven't decided yet. I guess that's where I'm still stumped. I can do everything around the DVD Recorder, but don't know how to incorporate it to optimize the picture and sound when using it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3131
If possible, connect s-video to the recorder, if not, use RCAs. You can use a switcher for the audio, or a receiver. They may make audio splitters, I'm not sure on that one.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1182
Angie, by all means use an HDMI from the STB to the TV. This would, as you say, free up the analog A/V outputs for use into the DVD/VCR. That way you archive any programs you have recorded on the STB's hard disc.

The only question I have is does the cable signal continue uninterrupted to the STB when playing a DVD? If not, then the RF should go into the STB first and then into the DVD/VCR.

Also, I would use an S-video connection from the DVD/VCR (instead of composite) to the TV for best transmission of the video signal when playing your VHS tapes. You will also need to connect R/L analog out to the Sony receiver from the DVD/VCR in order to hear the audio on those tapes.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1183
"The only question I have is does the cable signal continue uninterrupted to the STB when playing a DVD? If not, then the RF should go into the STB first and then into the DVD/VCR."

To clarify, the cable signal passing through the DVD/VCR when playing a DVD would be a problem only if you wanted to record a TV program at the same time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3132
The VHS on a combo only outputs through composite, you can't use s-video.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1184
Thanks David. Obviously I have not had much personal experience with these combo-type units. I knew this Panasonic wouldn't upconvert the VHS signal to component, but with a recent model DVD recorder/VCR from a good mfr. like Panasonic I thought the VHS signal would be available through the S out at least. But if it doesn't it doesn't. The gain in PQ in using S-video over composite for a standard VHS video signal is probably marginal anyway.

Units like this Panasonic should upconvert both the DVD and VHS video signals to component. Even mid-priced current model AVRs upconvert any composite and S-video signal to component, so why not units like this? The answer is cost, most likely.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us