Setup Receiver w/o HDMI with HD-DVD Player

Username: Symuser

Post Number: 1
I have a Onkyo HTR 410 receiver that does not have a Component or HDMI connections. But I do have a HDTV that does have a HDMI, Component, etc connections. I am planning to get me a HD-DVD Player. What is the optimum set up options do I have w/o buying a newer receiver?

TIA,
Symuser

Silver Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 116
HDMI out from DVD player to HDMI in on TV. Multi channel analog out from DVD to multi channel analog in on reciever. Be sure to set speaker distances/delay on DVD player.

Username: Symuser

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Tommy. I neglected to mention that the receiver has Digital Coax and Digital Optical ports. And I just checked the back of HD-DVD AX1 that has the same ports as well. I should be able to use them. But I am not certain how does those Coax and Optical give me 5.1 surround sound. Please enlighten me.

- Symuser

Silver Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 119
when you use digital connections then you are using the reciever to decode the surround sound. when you use the analog outs the DVD player is doing all the decoding. to take full advantage of some of the new formats and higher resolution tracks on HD DVD the best way to hook it up is the analog outs. of course you can do it either way its up to you; you might try both. sometimes when using the analog connections (at least on current DVD players) the volume level is lower which means you have to turn the volume higher on the reviever to reach the same db.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1164
I agree Tommy, if I were symyuser I would use the analog outputs from the XA-1. The audio improvement from the Dolby Digital Plus track on HD-DVDs, with its higher bit-rate, is worth the effort by all accounts. The question is whether the equipment being used here (an entry-level AVR and the HTIB speakers that came with it) is of high enough quality to actually hear the difference between DD and DD+. The lossless multichannel Dolby TrueHD track that may be standard on HD-DVDs in the future is out of the equation here since the XA-1 doesn't support it (although the stereo only TrueHD is output through the R/L analog outputs of the player).

But the other reason to use the player's analog outputs would be that the player's possibly more sophisticated audio setup is most likely better than the Onkyo's. Speaker level, distance, and crossover will probably be handled better by this player than this receiver. Of course these settings would be audible only through the Toshiba's multichannel analog outs.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1473/toshiba-hd-xa1-hd-dvd-player -page8.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us