Chicken or the egg

Username: The46zone

Post Number: 1
I want to upgrade my home theatre system but i'm not sure where to start. A new receiver or new front speakers? I have very old Bose speakers with the updated center channel. I'm looking into floorstanding SONY's. Will they sound ok with a BOSE center channel? Which is more important to upgrade the receiver or the speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 292
Shawn my suggestion is you need to start with the speakers. Get away from Bose and Sony speakers, Sony is a great video company but I stay away from ther audio. In my opion Paradigm is the best speaker for the BUCK. http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmProduct.html

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11445
Let us start with a budget.

And as Casey pointed out, put the Sony and Bose out of the equation.

Username: The46zone

Post Number: 2
Ther reason I liked the Sony's are the price. They were like 175 a pair. I don't have much to spend. What are you guys talking for good speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 65
A good rule of thumb is to spend at least an equal amount on the 3 front speakers (LF, C, RF) as the spend on your AVR receiver.

Example = $800 on AVR and $800 on three front speakers, total spend = $1600.

If you skimp on the speakers you do not get you money's worth out of the AVR. Also, speakers, unless you abuse the crap out of them could last quite a few years. They are very important IMHO.

The speakers actually are what you hear. So stay with a balanced set which were designed to be used as a set. Example could be the B&W DM601 S3 for the front L & R and the B&W LCR60 S3 for the center. This grouping at list price would be a $800 set, coupled with say a Denon AVR 2807 at $800 would make a fine, fine foundation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us