HDMI Compatibility

Username: Jakervik

Post Number: 1
I just upgraded from an S-101 to an S-301. Not just for the power, but for the HDMI connection. I have a Samsung 42" HD LCD tv. It has two HDMI ports. I also have a Comcast DVR cable box. It also has an HDMI port. I connected an HDMI cable from the Denon to the tv, and a cable from the Cable box to the tv. DVD player works fine.....radio works fine....but, although I get a picture on the tv, I get no sound. Denon rep told me the technology isn't that good yet. He said use component cables and an optical cable. THAT'S WHAT I HAD ON THE S-101! Luckly I had an old optical cable laying around and I connected that from the cable box to the Denon. So....I get sound now. But what a waste of money. He told me to set the switch on the back from HDMI to progressive. I might as well take it back and get the 101! $200 worth of HDMI cables that don't even support the technology. I read about the workaround people are doing. Do I just take back the expensive cables and grab a set of component cables and a better optical cable and wait for the technology to get better? Or just take this system back. I am so angry with the Best Buy salesman. I am not an audiophile, and I feel really duped! The Denon website even brags about the HDMI setup. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 21
hmmm...did you try the Denon to TV by itself to see if you get sound? I am confused on your setup though...No idea what a S-101 is. I know that if your running HDMI then you will not get sound via Optical. But again...kinda confused on set up. Also, if you like the sound from your Denon, then I would keep everything. Maybe just me, but I don't notice that much if a difference from HDMI to component anyhow. Maybe if they were side by side...maybe. Component delivers awesome picture. I think my true enjoyment comes from the surround sound from my Onkyo. Love the bass and effects when watching DVD or watching Hi_def from satellite delivered in Dolby Surround.

Username: Rbcp

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am new here. I had a similar problem with a Time Warner Cable box: when I connected the cable box to TV with HDMI cable, I had picture but no sound. I had to go into the cable box settings and select 'HDMI'. Not sure if yours is the same issue, but I hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us