HT reciever

Username: Chardaw

Mpls, Mn Usa

Post Number: 2
Ive been looking at HT recivers and am a little overwhelmed. Is there any reason to spend the extra money for a receiver with numerous video inputs (HDMI) when my TV already has them. I have a samsung DLP with 3 component inputs and 1 HDMI. Why run everything through a receiver when my TV already has them? The only reason I can think of buying a reciever like this is if I need more than 1 HDMI input.

Username: Wire_guy

Post Number: 1
Well One Reason would be so you coud run all of the video and audio to your reciever, and then only one cable to your TV via the monitor out on the back of the reciever. The reciever will allready be handling your sound, why not make it easy. Just make sure the reciever has all the right inputs you need to get the best signal from each device.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 55
He would then need to buy 2 HDMI cables instead of one, and then he would still need to switch inputs on his TV, since only one of his sources is HDMI.

Letting the receiver handle the video switching only makes things easier if the video monitor out(s) from the receiver can be hooked up to a single input on the TV. If you have to switch inputs on the TV anyway, then the receiver's video switching isn't too helpful.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 99
Adam, since your TV only has one HDMI input i would strongly recommend get a reciever with HDMI inputs. this way you are prepared if you need to use 2 HDMI devices in the future (which is very likely).

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 286
Robert and Tommy are right. If you buy a receiver that converts all video inputs to HDMI this would be a good choice. Being ready for the future is a good idea. DVD in HD and Cable in HD all through HDMI is more than likely the way of the future, your TV has only one input,and what ever else device that comes along using HDMI.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 287
Areceiver thta can out put all inputs to HDMI would be, http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3255.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 56
Adam, you ask a wonderful question and one that requires a bit of a lengthy answer. Today, many of the newer mid to high end AV Receivers have two or more HDMI inputs as well as one or more HDMI outputs. These same recivers also have optical (Toslink) and coax digital audio inputs and usually more than one.

Also, many AV Receivers with HDMI outputs can perform upconversion to 720P and even 1080i. So this allows folks with older DVD players to send the video signal to the AVR and let it pass and upconvert the signal to their new HDTV via HDMI.
(for instance the Denon AVR 2807 provides this functionality).

Likewise, "most" newer HDTV's have two HDMI inputs. Also, "most" newer DVD plays have one HDMI output as well as optical and coax digital audio outputs.

Some folks are using their AV Receiver as the central point of their video and audio connection network by feeding it with HDMI video and digital audio. They are also reducing wire clutter as well. This all works today assuming your AV receiver and DVD and HDTV Cable/Sat box all can play and negotiate HDMI V1.1

There are some HDTV Cable and Sat boxes which have interoperability issues with an AVR being in the middle of the HDMI Audio Video signal. This appears to be an HDMI implementation issue by various vendors.

Personally, I keep my HDMI feeds simple. I have my HD Cable box (Cablevision) connected to my HDTV via HDMI with the TV audio turned off. The Cable box is also connected to my Denon 2807 via optical audio cable. Likewise my DVD player (Oppo DV-970HD) is connected directly to my TV via HDMI for video feed. The Oppo is connected to the Denon 2807 via optical audio cable as well. Since my TV has 2 optical inputs this allows me to do this without getting the Denon involved as a central switcher and it does just the audio work (which it does very well) with optical audio feeds.

If however, my HDTV only had one HDMI input I would use the Denon to as as a HDMI switcher and feed the HDTV. I would not configure it to do any up-conversion. And in that configuration I could eliminate the optical audio feeds as well.

So you have to ask yourself a few questions....

1) does your cable or sat box have an HDMI output?

2) does your DVD have an HDMI output?

If the answer is yes to those two questions, then perhaps a HDMI 2 to 1 switcher OR and AVR with at least 2 HDMI inputs and one output will be beneficial.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us