Need a little help in the bedroom =8CÞ

SilentBoB
I am planning on putting a surround system in my bedroom and need some recommendations. I was originally planning on buying everything separate and going overboard until I came to my senses and realised I should probably just buy a home-theatre-in-a-box (it is only for my bedroom after all!)

I plan to hook my TV and Xbox up to this system and maybe a VCR.

I was wondering what systems some people would recommend. I'm looking at spending no more than $1200 (Australian dollars) on the system. Any advice??

Derek
If you use your Xbox as a DVD player and your television has multiple A/V inputs AND you do not need a tuner, buy one of the multimedia speaker systems from Logitech, Creative or Klipsh. For $150 to $400 you can have 400+ watts rms of Dolby Digital and Prologic with what appears [to the wife] like there is no extra equipment.

Connect it to the Vaiable Audio out of the TV and your TVs remote can still control the system.

Denon makes a very good system that come with (I think) Mission or Mirrage speakers that sounds VERY good. I haven't heard the Onkyo that everyone is talking about in the other forums but you might want to give it a listen.

SilentBoB
Thanks Derek

I was thinking of getting the Logitech Z-680's at one point because i can get those direct through the wholesalers. They are 500W RMS THX certified, DTS, Dolby Digital and Pro-LogicII
here are the specifications

Total output power: 505 Watts RMS
Subwoofer power output: 188 Watts RMS
Satellite speaker power output: 317 Watts RMS (62 Watts RMS per channel for satellites; 69 Watts RMS for center channel)
Total peak power: 1000 Watts
Maximum SPL: 114 dB
System frequency response: 35Hz - 20kHz
Input impedance: 10,000 ohms
Shielded satellites for use near video monitors
Source Inputs

(1) digital optical for DVD or CD player, PlayStation 2, Xbox*, or PC sound card (requires optical cable, sold separately)
(1) digital coaxial for DVD or CD player, or PC sound card (requires coaxial cable, sold separately)
(1) 6-channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2-, 4-, or 6-channel PC sound cards
(1) Analog stereo-mini for portable CD, MP3, or MiniDisc® player

But i couldn't find any stores with them set up and i couldn't really find any sales guys who could tell me the quality of them when using them as a home theatre...

Derek
Try CompUSA or Best Buy. The Logitech are frequently on an end cap with a HP Media Center PC attached. If you can't find the exact model, try listening to some of the 4.1 and lessor models. You can also read reviews on www.3dsoundsurge.com. Now this isn't a killer system but for a bedroom...

... and besides, where else can you get a powered sub and decoder with amp for 5 to 6 speakers? Some of thier smallers systems only cost $100. I don't know how they do it.

SilentBoB
Derek - I'm in Australia so I can't go to either of those places.
After reading some reviews I was looking at getting the Onkyo HT-S650. But after calling my local onkyo dealer they are no longer in my price range. They told me that speaker package would cost me around $2000+ but they weren't even sure if it had been released in australia yet?!!?! Anyway the price difference between here at the states is ridiculous! $2000AUD is $1,262.52 USD!!!

I just bought a TECHWOOD HOME THEATER SYSTEM, does anyone have any information, wether this is a good system??

Derek
Find a site with a good return policy. Save some money ($2000!) and order the computer speakers. If you don't like them, send them back. Also, most are reviewed at www.3dsoundsurge.com.

Good luck.

Boris
SilentBob: can you order online from www.onkyousa.com and have it shipped to Australia? It should be possible and much cheaper...

JLD
Can u hook up the z-680 to a television?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us