Is phase linear any good?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3908
i have this old phase linear amp for me home audio, and i am wondering if they got bought out? it around a 1979'ish... any good? model 2000 pre-amp and model 200 amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 37
I used to have a Phase Linear... In the day (1970's) they were the best. Clear and clean and ohh so powerful. Doe it still play and have any of the capacitors gone bad (a noticable hummm noise)?

Bronze Member
Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 20
Man... I still have fun playing with Phase Linear and SAE gear. Good, clean powerful fun.
Wanna sell it? ;-)

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3914
^^ what are those names? up there do you have ur own audio company? o wat! ur from oregon too haha, im from tigard, beaverton area... :-)

and no, its my dads stuff, and no the caps havent gone bad. there isnt a humming noise, but every once in a while when i turn the bass knob on the amp, it get this HUGE popping sounds from my 2 12" JBL speakers. and it kinda scares me... but then i take the cover really quick off the amp and spray some WD in there, and then i just mvoe the knob around, and then it doesnt make that noise. you know what i can do to stop it? its fine right now, i was just wonderin...

i have NO CLUE how much my phase linear amp would go for.. so any of you know? any ball park?

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 25
Hey Bassman,

I'd avoid the WD in the electronics. I'm not sure what all is in WD-40, but I'm pretty sure you don't want it getting into your circuitry. You've got the right idea, though.
Hop on down to Radio Shack (there's one here in Tualatin and one over in Beaverton as well) and get yourself a can of contact cleaner. It is also known as TV tuner cleaner, but I think 'The Shack' changed the name.
The popping is probably caused by dirty contacts in the potentiometers that are on the other side of those knobs. If you pop the case off and spray the contact cleaner on those round, rotary lookin' things while twisting them, you should be able to clean things up pretty well and avoid that popping. If the contacts are corroded, you may still get the popping. If that is the case, I'd look at taking it into a shop if you like it well enough. It's a great amp.

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3917
I made a mistake. it was CR contact cleaner, i dont know why i said it was WD. and the problem is basically fixed.

My dad wants to ask, if this system can be BI-amped leaving the above phase linear to power the 12's JBL speakers? the get another amp and pre-amp to power just the mids and tweeters?

or basically, since my JBL speakers are not really pumpin out the bass, what could i go with (amp or pre-amp or whatever) that we power them more efficiently while keeping the overall sound all-together?..

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 26
Hey Bassman,

Whether or not you can bi-amp this setup depends on the JBL speakers. If you have two sets of binding posts or speaker terminals on the back of the speaker (two reds and two blacks) then your speakers are bi-wireable. If that is true, then you only need a couple of y-adapters to make this happen. If not, you can't bi-amp without replacing the crossover network and binding post tray and that is just a hassle. The answer to your troubles is probably a decent subwoofer. The sub you get should have stereo RCA inputs and outputs or speaker level inputs.

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3918
yea, i knwo a ton about car audio but not a ton on home audio. Im guessing that JBL is still a top top speaker for home audio since basically i see them everywhere i go, in school, in theaters clubs etc...

and no, its only a Single VC so it only has 1 pos and one neg.

What abut tri-amping tho? because my dads older brother, who knew A TON, had an amp for his mid, his tweets and the sub. and we now have his system, except all of the other things. So we have the tweeter, mid and the sub and his brother amped each set up... what would you need to do this. ithe main reason why the sub really isnt doin alot, prolly is because it doesnt have its own amp, and its not getttin the power to really get it pushing decent...?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3947
bump

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3949
bump caleb :-)

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 28
There could be a number of reasons that you aren't getting the bass that you want, but it probably comes down to the design of the speaker. Not knowing what they are (other than that they are JBLs) has me at a disadvantage.

As far as tri-amping speakers: I can count the number of people that I know who use a tri-amp setup on one hand. In many of those cases, it was just for fun- an experiment if you will. If you have a well designed set of speakers and a good source of power, even bi-amping can be waived. If you were going to do it, you'd have to use an outboard crossover and wire management would start to get messy.

Bottom line: Subwoofers are the most efficient way to produce bass. More power from their own amp, tuned enclosure MUCH easier setup.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3950
so you think i should just get an individual amp for my sub? cuz i belive that its not getttin the power. its in a big enclosue with the 12 the mid and the tweet all in one enclosure..

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3985
bump caleb :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us