Speaker upgrade?

Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 7
My current equipment. Yamaha 5230 (also have Denon 1400) Fronts - Paradigm micros v1, rears - Paradigm Micros v3, Center - Paradigm CC50, & Yamaha YS180 sub. After finding some info on Bic Americas, I was considering upgrading? to DV64 Towers for the fronts, and a DV62CLRS for the center. Leaving a pair of micros for the rears, & the extra pair for surrounds if I go 7.1. My Home Theater is 13'2" x 14' 8" with 8' tray ceiling, 7'6" under the soffits. I've read a lot of good things about the Bic's, and am also considering upgrading my receiver, but I can't find anyone who has any experience with a Jamo AVR793. Just to add to the confusion, I also have a pair of Boston Acoustic A60II's and a pair of Boston Acoustic 3 way towers available, if anyone has a suggestion about those. Is this an upgrade or a lateral move?

Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 8
Well, last nite I decided to A/B test my stable of speakers. The Boston towers are T930's. Anyway, I hooked up the A60's first, on stands, which were too high, but worked ok. I heard a substantial hissing. Once I pulled the grills, I found that my woofer foams were shot. One totally, the other only in places. Still didn't sound too bad at low volumes, so, no problems with the coils it seems. (If anyone has experience refoaming and can give me direction as to who has the best kit, I would appreciate) Pulled the A60's and installed the T930's. Changed the speaker size to large for the front surrounds, cut the bypass to about 80hz on the sub, and WOW! Talk about room filling. The cc50 center stopped sounding tinny and had some depth. The effects were pretty spectactular, and the bass was coming from everywhere. After listening/watching for a while I put the micros back on the stand. Changed the speaker setting back to small, the bypass on the sub to 120, and then upped the volume from 0 to 4 on the front surrounds. A lot better than before, but not the room filling sound of the towers. The problem with the towers is that they are oak colored & grained, instead of black, and they are my main 2 channel audio in my great room. (Connected to my Carver rec & cd changer) So the question is will the Bic America towers with the Bic center channel compare to the 930's and the cc50? The 930s are excellent for 2 channel duty in my great room which is 24 x 40 with 21' vaulted ceilings. Those are big shoes to fill. Or should I wait and repair the a60's and look at only getting the Bic Center, which has gotten glowing reviews? All opinions appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us