Please second guess me! This is what I'm close to buying

Username: Oneweight

Post Number: 6
After much pain and deliberation, this is the system that I'm considering: Please give me your thoughts as to whether I'm headed down a decent path as I'm new to this.

Samsung HPS4273 - panel
Onkyo TXSR604 receiver
Paradigm CC170 - center
Paradigm Titans - fronts
Paradigm Cinema ADP's - rears
Soundmatters Substage 100 - sub

My room is only 10x12 and is very small. I will probably put the sub under the couch as has been recommended. Fronts and center will be on shelves up front and rears will be wall mounted to exact left and right of the couch which will be situated at the rear of the room against a window.

Knowing that I'm going somewhat economical to mid-range (this is subjective) is this a decent system? Any edits or recommendations?

System above is ~$3200.

thx all

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11383
The only thing I would change would be your receiver. Check out the Pioneer VSX 1016, I believe it has a much better power supply than the Onkyo unit you are planning.

I cannot comment on the subwoofer as i have not heard it. But check out the HSU stf-1 subwoofer, an excellent sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 18
the pioneer vsx-1016 would be a very good choice, I actually compared it to onkyo and the pioneer had much better sound quality IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 281
I use to like Onkyo but then found out that some of there power stats where miss leading. I like Denon, but pioneer is no slouch. I suggest you go all out for your Paradigm speakers and get the ADP170 for the rears.http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/ systems.html

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 282
Some Denon suggestions http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3255.asp http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3254.asp

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3098
The Samsung is the thing to change. Virtully everything Samsung sells has problems. Poorly designed circuits built with cheap components.

Post Number: 9
Thx all for the input. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it as it's too confusing. Too many options.

As per the above, I like the fact that the Onkyo has HDMI inputs and it appears that none of the above recommended rec's, Denon and Pioneer, have HDMI.

Question: How important is HDMI?

Knowing that I want to spend a max $450 on receiver, what would you all buy?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11402
No HDMI until they agree on a standard.

HDMI on a lousy receiver is useless. You can always make a direct connection to your TV.

Post Number: 10
got it.

Berny - which of these would you prefer? Or other under $450

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV - $375

DENON AVR-1907 - $409

Denon AvR 1707 $449

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11405
They are all good receivers, my preference is still Pioneer and that is a personal thing. Listen to them first, you mileage may vary :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us