TV placement: ever seen one INSIDE the fireplace?

Bronze Member
Username: Peeb

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 12
I've concluded that putting a plasma TV over the fireplace would just be unworkably high to view (bottom of TV would be 4 feet 8 inches up).

My 'hole' in the fireplace is 45.5 inches wide, 32 inches high, and 17 inches deed at the most shallow point. Ever seen a TV dropped right into the fireplace hole? (Yes, I know I'm taking fires out of the equation, unless I really hate my TV).

Rather than just dropping the TV in, I would do some type of 'build-in' so that it looked OK. Probably set up the TV on some type of rolling tray that could pull out for connections, maintenance, etc.

PS- don't have a TV right now- still planning, so I can certainly shop for the right sized TV.

What do you think? Cool or crazy??

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 26
Somewhat Crazy... be aware that in certain rain storms with torrential rains it is "possible" to have water come down the fireplace chimney. This has happened about 4 times with my fireplace in the last 17 years. I now have a fireplace flew cap on the stack which should minimize this. However, it is possible to have water and debris fall down and past the flew door.

I would not advise you reconsider this unless the fireplace is a fakey doo (gas or decorative) only.

Bronze Member

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 13
I had considered this from the angle of things escaping OUT (i.e., sealing off the chimney so that warm air wasn't escaping in the winter, opposite in the summer) but I admit I had not thought about water getting IN. My thought had been to buy a giant block of styrofoam (like they make floats for barges) and cutsom cut a chunk for the hole just above the flue, then jam and calk it in. Probably a good idea to seal it off at the top, too.

Any other thought or experiences from anybody?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1126
Arty brings up a good point. Obviously water and HDTVs do not mix. I have not had a water problem in any of my fireplaces, but it seems to me you wouldn't have to have the TV completely inside the fireplace. You could have it out a little on the mantle on a low stand. With your opening, a nice 50" plat panel display wouldn't look bad, imo.

Username: Kingkong86

Post Number: 1
Get a tiltable mount - you will get used to the height pretty quickly

Bronze Member

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 14
Have seen some nice tilt mounts recently. I wish that some ingenious company would make a mount that brings the screen out AND down.

Don't think it exists for the bigger sets, tho. That would definitely solve things.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1130
Guys we're talking about the TV in front of, or partially in the fireplace, not over it. No tiltable mount would be needed.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 62
Peeb,
if you go ahead with this plan all you would need is one of those videos of the fire burning and no one will ever know the differece. ;-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us