Home Theatre system help

Username: Dvdsung

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I don't know too much about audio/video and I am seeking some help.

I just picked up a Samsung HT-AS610 theatre system. I wan't to get the best quality of sound out of it, connected to my tv. I have a samsung flat crt.

First, I need some help setting everything up.

I scanned an image of the rear of my receiver to better help everyone

Please click the link, you can also enlargen it once it's displayed:

[URL="http://clubef.com/receiver.jpg"]http://clubef.com/receiver.jpg[/URL]

I'm hooking this up to my tv. In the manual it tells me to hook up one rca port from the receiver to the tv.

It's teling me to hook it from the montor video output jack to an rca port on my tv (doesen't state which one)

On my tv, I only have a few rca ports.

I have the video and audio (red,white,yellow) for the following:

input1
input2
monitor out

Then I have an s video jack and component inputs for 480i.

this is where i'm confused. Do I just run 1 rca jack from the receiver to one of the audio ports on my tv under "monitor out" ?

Below is how I set it right now which is working fine but i'm not sure if im loosing audio quality, it sounds ok but not the greatest.

I got a hold of rca cables and hooked the 3 rcas on one end to the receiver under "vcr/sat" and the other 3 on the other end to monitor out.

What do you guys suggest?

That's one of my questions.

the other is..how can I take advantage of the s video and component connectinos on my tv? i'm running cable off the tv and an xbox from the inputs so I play a lot of movies from the xbox and want to take advantage of everything I got..

next: the receiver suports dolby digital but in the manual it states "you can enjoy dolby digital only if you connect the digital audio output jack of an external audio component to the optical/coaxil digital audio input jack on the main unit. Anyone knows what this means to a noob?

last but not least, i'm mounting 2 speakers on the wall. Is there special mounts used for these little speakers. I see a little hold in the back of the speaker and someone told me to just screw a hold in the wall and use the head from the screw to hold the speaker up..this doesen't seem right..any ideas?

sorry about all the questions but your help would be greatly appreciated

thx guys

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 27
Sounds like you have Xbox as a source for DVD?
What is the source for Television (Cable Box or Satellite or Antenna?)

Be aware that the AS-610 needs to be "fed" audio signals from the Xbox as well as audio from the television signal source (Cable/SAT box). This is done thru either an audio connection via wire or optical. Optical carries a pure digital signal.

Those are audio IN.

If you want Dolby Digital, you will need to buy or get an optical audio cable and connect that from your (Cable/SAT box) to the AS610 Optical Audio IN.

In short you need to feed the AS610 with audio input from your sources.

Post Number: 2
thank you for the response

Yes you are correct, I use the xbox as a DVD player.

The tv source is cable. I don't have an actual cable box, it's just the coaxil connection from the wall jack.

I want to enable the dolby digital from the dvd optical plug but it has some weird shaped adapter in the back of the receiver, not sure what cabling is used for that.

I just ordered component cabling for the xbox so im going to hook that up shortly. Theres 5 wires (blue, green, red, red, white) I know the component plugs on the tv are green,blue and red. So I suppose the other 2 plugs go in to my receiver under audio dvd in but I still don't have dolby digital which is what i'm looking for, on my xbox along with the cable tv channels but more importantly, on the xbox.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 28
Ok, Johnny, it looks like you are on the right track. I do not have an Xbox so I am not going to be of much help to you. If however, you look at your documentation on the Xbox perhaps it shows how to hook up the audio to a (TV or audio receiver). To get the audio from the cable, you will have to get the audio OUT of the TV and then up into the receiver. Again, I would look at the documentation supplied by your TV to find those connections.
Sorry for not being of greater assistance. Perhaps someone else here can assist??

Post Number: 3
Actually, I just figured it out (hopefully)

I need an AV Pack. For example:

[img]http://www.corporatedepot.com/GIFS/K0500001tn.jpg[/img]

Then I need an optical cable:

for eg: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901 &p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2

So I will have the components from the av pack going to my tv. The I need to connect that optical cable from the av pack to the receiver I just got

The above is what I read and should be working. Only thing is from the av pack, i'll have an extra white and red rca cable but I heard those are not used (they're used for the stock speakers from the tv which i wont be using)

I hope everything above is correct, if not hopefully someone can correct me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us