How do I get a 5.1 computer speaker system to work with my TV?

Username: Silvervette

Hauppauge, NY USA

Post Number: 1

I just got a New Panasonic CT-34WX53 TV on 5/5/04. I also bought a Toshiba SD-5960 DVD player to go with it. Now I want to set up a 5.1 sound system with it. I have a self-powered Klipsch 5.1 pro media computer speaker system that I haven't used with my computer, it has been in the box unopened for almost 2 years. I was hoping to get some use out of the speakers by using it with my DVD player. When I get my TV hooked up to a Hi-Def source I would also like the 5.1 to work with a broadcast / cable / or dish signal. I don't know much about this stuff so I have no idea where to start or if I can even use computer speakers with my TV. Keep in mind that this is a bedroom TV so I don't need a super high power speaker system.
1) Can I use the computer speakers with my TV?
2) If so do I need a decoder to get 5.1?
3) Do I need to buy a amp, I was thinking that since the speakers are self powered computer speakers I might be able to get by with just a pre-amp.
4) I still haven't hooked up my TV to Hi-Def yet, I saw some ads for VOOM, has anyone used it and do they think the extra DVD channels are worth it.
5) Should I just forget about using the computer speakers and just go out and buy a new receiver with 5.1 speakers?
6) On last question, I do most of my TV watching on tape but Hi-Def tape recorders are pretty expensive right now. What are my options for Hi-Def recording?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us