Help in purchase

Username: Alexl

Post Number: 3
I currenttly have a yamaha receiver which I purchased many years ago when prologic first came out. I just purchased a plasma tv and want to hook up to a home theatre system. I also have older advent speakers and a 100watt sub woofer.Are the new receivers much better then the old systems(my receiver has no component video)? If yes should I purchase a package system or buy a new receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 392
Since you already shelled out the big bucks for a plasma set why not go all the way and do it right. I would start from scratch and buy a new receiver and speakers. I don't know how much money you can spend or if you have a dvd player. Let me know your budget and your musical tastes and maybe I can give you some suggestions. Also what is your room size?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 543
oh yeah, another enthusiast in the making. Bring on the budget and let us play!

cheers

Post Number: 4
Looking to start with a good receiver and dvd player.I listen to all types of music mostly older pop. Will be watching alot of dvd movies with the kids.As far as budget anything I need to spend to get good components without going over the top for a family system( I don't know costs but between 500-1000)to get started. My tv is a 42" plasma and I have a yamaha 100 watt subwoofer.I can not get new speakers until my wife arranges and redecorates the room(next 3 weeks). tnanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 549
hmm...this will be a great time to start looking for a nice set of speakers to go with the room. This is the best time to audition different types of speakers to suit your liking, room decor/parameters and the good ol' wife approval factor. Look for the receiver next, because a good set of speakers will make the Home theater. No matter how expensive or fancy your receiver can be, a lousy set of loudspeakers will not compensate for anything. However, a great set of speakers, will make the most mediocre of receivers sound really great. A home theater in a box(HTIB) will suffice for some folks, but if you take the time to look around and see what is out there, the HTIB may not be what you are going to be happy with. Plus with the 42" plasma TV, it would be like putting an 8 track in a Ferrari (if you have to ask what an 8 track is, you are too young).
look at these speakers
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/ -- available at Best Buy, it is very easy to access and listen. Excellent sonics for an equally excellent price.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/ -- look at their home theater speaker packages...one of the better ones I've had, outstanding clarity and will knock you down in a home theater set-up. Can be driven by a low end Kenwoods and Sonys with no problems and make the cheap electronics sound outstanding.

Then there is
http://www.aperionaudio.com
another outstanding set that can make cheap electronics sound otherwise.

there are others like Paradigm, NHT and Magnepan, but I'm more familiar with these, because I have them before or currently.

let the fun begin....happy hunting!
cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 394
Alexl,
Since you are familar with Yamaha and are on somewhat of a budget I would suggest looking at the new Yamaha 1400 receiver paired with Paradigm Performance series speakers like the Titan, Focus and Atom. These are a very good match and are incredible bargains. You can find the 1400 for under $600 at several on-line sites. The 1400 and 2400 are very much improved over past Yamaha's as the brightness is gone but they are still a little thin sounding which makes them a good match with the Paradigm's.

Post Number: 5
First, thanks for all the help. I looked at the yamaha 1400 looks good except my tv has component video rca jacks or s-video while the receiver has digital input/output or s-video. I was advised to use componenet video. What do you think? Also is it better to put the video for the dvd and cable box directly to tv, or run everything into the receiver?

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
The 1400 has component video switching. 2 in-1 out. You will have to run at least a s-video cable thru the receiver to use any on screen set ups. Otherwise run directly if you can. I run everthing thru my reciever because I have to since my set has only 1 s-video input. I have looked at dvd's both ways and the picture is the same.

parkwest
Unregistered guest
I have a 43" Akai Plasma TV - currently I have that a Direct TV Tivo and my 22" Plasma (from my bedroom) all hooked up together thru the wall-
- I live alone so it enabled me to watch tivo and direct tv in both rooms without having to buy 2 different ones...
I now am ready to listen to some CD's watch an occasional DVD but I am more of a College Football , Network TV person... I have 1400 sq feet and hardwoods 2 bedroom condo- how much "theatre" do I need?Do I really need to get a subwoofer? I am "particular" about my decor-no wires anywhere, i positively couldn't see myself hanging speakers about and the subwoofer is basically big and ugly- and I was told it couldnt be put in a cupboard like the tivo- this is a girl thing and silly but it's the truth-both computers and my printer everthing is wireless-my condo is new and has speaker wiring in the walls for speakers- I want in wall speakers only There are 2 on the tv, I intended to add two more in wall in lr- may be others in bedroom & office but is it ok to only have two-seems like theatres are boxed with 6 every time hence maybe how you get the term"surround sound" but my place is not huge- 1400 sq feet total and all hardwoods- doesn't seem like I need more than 2 more in the walls to get good sound- again I am in a condo so how loud can i turn it up really??I bought a Onkyo 6:1 TX-SR501 tonight
and a GO Video D2730 wireless DVD CD MP3 player- ecost had them $119-Target $299, Best Buy $299- it didnt cost more than an average dvd player so what the heck I love everything else wireless so this fell into place-can someone tell me what else I need and I wanted to know do receivers and dvd players come in one piece- isaw a denon 220 universal DVD/SCAD/CD Player and it looks like if i got that I wouldnt have to have a receiver too or would I??It's not money per se that is an issue- but I have a laptop with a PVR 17" screenit cost more than the PDP and I don't want to invest 5 grand in this set up if investing a grand gets me about the same quality- I want to enjoy a movie, football, good music - good quality yes but I'm limited in a condo as to how loud etc so why buy more than I can use or need... I am a true dumb blonde with the stereo subwoofer receive issues- this is my first "stereo" since college -imagine that! Thanks for any help and or suggestions- plus I ordered on line so if I need to cancel something i need to do so ASAP- oh- I saw Bose in wall speakers and Klipsch and another set - huge price differences $100-$600- do I go for the Bose or again with 2 speakers in the walls will there be any noticable difference in any of them?

Post Number: 6
Just purchased the yamaha htr 5790 which is the same receiver as the yamaha 1400. Also picked up a sony 5-disc dvd/cd player with component video out and optical digital. Now its time to talk speakers. I will set this up with 5 speakers for 5.1(the most the wife will allow).Room size about 23feet wide 50 feet long but couch and speakers will only be about 12 feet from tv. Any advise on what to purchase that will match well with the receiver?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us