Surround Speakers On Shelves?

Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 5
In the next few months I plan on moving into a new apartment (living at home for now), I'm most likely going to be in a studio or at least have a large living room where I'll be doing most of my home theatre viewing.

I know that everyone recommends mounting rear speakers on walls or stands, but since most stands aren't much higher than 3 or 4 feet and wall mounts create holes which I may regret making since they're so permanent, I was considering buying matching 5-6 foot high bookcases to place the speakers on top of. would this be an adequate solution?

Just wondering what the audiophile community thought of my bookcase idea. Thanks!

Also just another question and I'm sure it's been answered before on this forum and I apolgize, but when hooking up rear surrounds (ie the extra speakers found in 7.1) do you want them at sitting ear level or higher like standing ear level which is recommended for the surrounds used in 5.1? thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Msvara

Post Number: 15
Take a look at this resource page.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

Bronze Member
Username: Msvara

Post Number: 16
Here's more info

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/speaker_plac ement.html

Username: Agentsmith

Post Number: 5
Well, I am no extreme audiophile, but I do know that the most important thing is to have the speakers pointed at you. Usually, the stands are at 24" or 36" because this puts the speaker closest to ear level. There is no "tilt" in this scenario, so the speakers would be pointed directly at your head.

If positioned on a high wall mount, they can often be tilted to point at you. From what I understand, this creates the same effect as if the speakers were at head level.

I think the whole point of this scheme is to have the sound travelling directly at you. If you put the speaker up higher, you will certainly hear it, but a lot of the sound will be reaching you indirectly (off a wall, ceiling or floor).

I think a lot of it depends on your level of discretion. Usually, when people dump a lot of money into equipment, they want the best sound possible out of them. In this case, its a judgement call on aesthetics vs. sound.

It wouldn't be that hard to do an experiment to see how much different it sounds when you raise the level a few feet (grab two friends and have them act as human stands).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us