Best Receiver + speakers for $1000-$1500?

Username: Agentsmith

Post Number: 1
I've often heard that Home theatre in a box systems yield poor value, and offer poor performance.

I don't have a very alrge budget, but I'm looking to spend no more than $1500. I am by no means a real audiophile, but I want good quality sound for my money.

I don't intend to upgrade, so this will be one time buy all purchase.

I don't think I need anything more than a 5.1 system. My reciever only needs to handle audio, and the only real requirements are optical and coaxial input and output to 5 channels + a sub.

My highest concern is on audio quality, and less upon "looks".

I eagerly await your opinions. Thanks a bunch!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11129
Take a look at the Pioneer VSX 816 and 5 Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Speakers with HSU STF-1 subwoofer. That should keep you within budget.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 79
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-750CHR

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR5950B.jsp

this system should cost around 1300-1500 usd and is alot of bag for your buck. I've heard the reciever and the speakers and these speakers really pound for the size the quality is amazing

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 138
If I was building a HT and limited to a $1500 budget, this is what I would buy.

SPEAKERS/SUB
Klipsch RF-10 fronts $400 street price
Klipsch RS-10 surrounds $200 street price
Klipsch RC-10 center $150 street price
You can find specs on all these speakers here.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/speakers.aspx
The Klipsch Reference line offers a great value, and they are extremely efficient as well. You wont need a lot of power get big sound from these. The above speakers will also easily outperform any of those satelite speaker packages.
SVS PB10-NSD SUB $450
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm
This is a legit subwoofer that goes down to 20hz. SVS offers a ton of output for the $$$.

Now you're left with $300 for a receiver. Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha all have receivers in this price range that will fit your HT needs perfectly.
You can go to any bigbox store to purchase the receiver, but you'll need to do a 'dealer search' to buy the Klipsch Reference speakers because you wont find them in big box stores. You'll need to find a real audio shop for that. The subwoofer will be purchased direct from SVS online.

Happy Shopping!

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 100
Rush
I don't know that I would go with the RF-10 series. About a year ago i purchased a RF-35 series system, but I listened to the 10. I thought that they were considerably brighter than the 35's. Now the price for the 35's (now i believe it's 82's) would put him over budget. I would suggest looking at the synergy line before going to the very bottom reference. Probably get a little better sound out of the F3's at about the same price (can be found at a big box store as well). Reference is a little nicer, but i think the low reference is VERY bright *IMO*.
I'd agree with the sub, but stay away from low end Yamaha (espically with Klipsch)

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much for the advice.

I'd definitely like to do more research on the subject, but it looks like I might just be able to fit those Klipsch speakers into my budget.

I've been able to find some prices using froogle and pricegrabber... but often times I return barely any search results for some of the products..

How exactly would I go about getting the best deals for this stuff? I'd like to avoid retail stores, since I know the markups are usually extreme...

Post Number: 3
Also, I was looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-80, but that might put me a little out of my budget.. Do you think the VSX-1016 or 916 would be much different?

I've heard good things about Denon receivers, but their receivers seem a bit more expensive and give out far less power. The yamahas seemed to offer comparable value to pioneer, so I'm curious as to why I shouldn't pair those receivers with klipsch speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 274
I like the Denon receivers $500 Paradigm speakers for $1000. http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/545.asp http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/ Atom_System.html

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 80
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/News/Downloads/pdgm_systems_bro_06.pdf

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11149
Because low end Yamahas have weak power supplies. Do not ever base your receiver purchase on rated wattage.

Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 6
I'm not sure how my audio set up compares to what has been referred in this forum but I have the following:
Sony DG800 7.1 Receiver
Sony 5 disc DVD changer
Polk M20s as front L/R
Polk M10s as rear L/R
Polk CSM center channel
Polk PSW10 Sub
The receiver runs 5.1 very well, and I've been quite thrilled with the performance of the system overall. The sony receiver takes getting used to setting up manually but once you get it down you'll love that you don't have to use an onscreen menu and you can tweak the audio mid-listen to your favorite CD or DVD. it has two optical ins and two coaxial ins not to mention a bevy of other ins and outs.

with all the speakers, sub, receiver, 5 disc DVD player, monster surge protector and protection plans on the receiver and dvd player (I know I'm a warranty sucker) the whole system cost me about 1000 or so not including tax.

Anyone care to comment on my choice feel free. But I'd recommend it to anybody :-)

Silver Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 101
Agent Smith,
Like Berny said don't base your receiver purchase on wattage alone. A lot of companies do not tell the whole story when advertising their wattage. For example sometimes it's with only 2 channels driven, not all 5. Other times they claim certain wattage, but it's only for a small frequency range. They can easily "trick" the consumer.

I've heard good things about Denon. Harmon Kardon recievers claim low power, but almost always exceed the claim.

If your going to go with Klipsch speakers they have a very high sensitivity so you don't need a whole lot of power to get them to play loud.
As far as yamaha, low end yamaha is considered to sound "bright". Klipsch speakers are very commonly considered "bright" when you put the two together you may not like the sound.

What I mean by "bright" at least the best description i have for you is this.
When i'm sitting just listening to music (while reading a book or something) after listening for much more than an hour or two, I have to turn down the radio. It seems like the music just keeps getting louder (eventhough i never changed the volume). The music still sounds good, but just kinda "fatigues" your ears making it sound louder.

Now it is VERY rare that i'm just sitting listening to music, usually i'm doing something else at the same time so this doesn't happen, but if your doing movies or doing something else around the house you wouldn't notice the "bright"/"fatiguing" sound.

Just to let you know i have RF-35's and a pioneer vsx-d811s. I don't find the combination too bright.

I would reccomend going somewhere (even if it's a big box store) and listening to the klipsch. You may find you don't like the sound of them. Everyone has differnt tastes.

If you go to a "speciality" store have them pair the speakers you would like with a receiver you would like. MOST places will do this for you without any problems.

I prefer to buy all my stuff from the same place and in person. Once you develop a relationship with the sales guy he'll steer you in the right direction without overselling. I regularly stop in and talk to my guy let him know how things are going and what i'm planning on changing. In turn he keeps his eye out for a decent deal on items i'm looking for.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice on the power ratings. I should have guessed that the ratings were mostly BS.

I think Ive narrowed the receiver down to the Denon 1907 ($410), and the Pioneer 1016 ($380) and the elite80 ($440). I know about the loss of warranty from the third party dealers, but its a good price savings..

I was told by a friend to also check out the Axioms in the same price range... but to be honest, I find its a little hard to find stores that carry brands like axiom, klipsch, paradigm, etc. I saw the synergy series of klipsch at Best Buy, but the store is so noisy and the setup was inadequate for testing..

It would be quite a leap to make a purchase without actually hearing it (or at least hearing it in a setting that would warrant judgement)... but its something I may have to do unless I want to buy a HTiB setup. Its actually scary since its a lot to drop down...

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 98
I own axoims. I don't know where you are located but on the axiom website in the forum group there is a audition club where you can hear axiom set ups in your own area (if available). I feel they are a great speaker company and no i am not on the payroll.

I find them very neutral and not very bass oriented. However many people have characterized them as being bright, on the flip side i have a marantz sr-6300 reciever which is characterized by some as being warm.

The bottom line for "me" is. Klipsh make my ears bleed. Paradigm sounds good if your pockets are deep enough. The axioms are somewhere in between.
Its like this porrage is too hot, this one is too cold, and this one is just right. I have m60 floorstanders, vp150, qs-4's, and a svs 20-39.

Anyways alot of internet direct companies like axiom have at home trial periods for free or minimal amounts of return shipping. I haven't personally heard them but the aperions seem to be getting some positive attention. Maybe have a look, the internet direct is not the only way to go; but definatly a viable option if you can audtion them in your home- especially for free. Especially when considering buying speakers at best buy, future shop, circuit city ect ect. Open air madness!

As far as recievers are concerned.... i would look at a used hk-235 or new hk-340 reciever. Previously to my marantz i had a hk-125 and was impressed for the performance for the $$, way underated power specifications. If i had to pick on it for home theatre though, the lack of bass management would be an issue.

Good luck on your search as i am going to have another scotch. cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us