Some Questions Regarding my LCD HDTV -- Hooking Up To Laptop

Username: Anthonyt

Post Number: 1
You're going to have to forgive my ignorance on the topic as I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to LCD televisions, but I have some questions regarding an LCD TV I recently purchases. Before I get started I'll just go ahead and state that it's a Panasonic FLM-1911, which has a 1440 x 900 native resolution (16:10). The computer (or rather, laptop) I'm connecting to it is my Alienware m5550, which has a native resolution of 1280 x 800 (16:10).

Anyways, is there a reason I can only get the standard 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions supported by the monitor/television? I can get 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, etc. to run, but not 1280 x 800, even though they're both technically 16:10 monitors. As I said I'm a bit ignorant on the matter, but why doesn't a 16:10 television monitor accept a 16:10 resolution from a computer? It doesn't make any sense to me. I've tried researching it, but I guess I'm not typing in the correct phrase to Google or something because I can't find much information on it.

What exactly is the 1440 x 900 resolution if it's not even supported? Is it only used for television, but not computers? It's an HDTV-compatible TV too, if that means anything. I just don't get why a television/monitor would have a 1440 x 900 resolution (16:10 aspect ratio) and only support it for television and not computers.

Is there anyway I can get it to show a 16:10 aspect ratio resolution, such as my laptop's 1280 x 800? So far I haven't been able to, but I was wondering if there was any way to trick the monitor into it or a way to hack it, if that's even possible.

Currently I'm using my laptop's DVI port, but I'm connecting it with a VGA adapter because my TV doesn't have a DVI adapter (running at 1024 x 768). There's not really any ghosting per se, but there is a slight distortion if the image... kind of like there's a shadow on it. Is this because of the VGA, or something else? If I can't get it to run in 1280 x 800 (which I assume is the case), I'd at least like to get the shadow gone.

Do most LCD TVs only support standard 4:3 resolutions, or do more expensive LCD TVs support their respective 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions? Thanks.

(I saw another thread on something similar here but didn't want to hijack the topic... sorry if this should have been posted there instead.)

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 72
Look for the LCD TV with 1080p features you'll get all the features of the past LCD and the latest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us