Small Room, 5.1 Sony Speaker Placement

Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 1
Okay first my story and set up. Two days ago I bought a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV, the following day I upgraded swapped out my 5.1 LG floor speaker HTIB for the Sony
HT-7000DH. It sounds like I'm constantly having Surround Speaker issues. With the floor speakers on my 600W one year old LG system the LS(left surround) always sounded louder even when it was manually turned to the quietest level setting, NOW the RS on my Sony sounds louder. I realized that floor speakers were not a good choice for your surround speakers because you want them higher than your front speakers, so I got the whole Sony set up. The rear speakers are SS-SRP7000's and I had them on speaker stands at 40" but I replaced those with Omni-mount stainless steel 10.0 wall mounts. I'm actually missing a 5mm adapter on one of the mounts for the RS speaker so I'm fixing that tomorrow. By the way I've also been using the auto calibration setup so maybe that's the problem?? But my question FINALLY IS... the setup is in my bedroom a small 10.5X13' room. My Speakers are going to be mounted 5 feet on my left and right about 6 feet above the floor, but the problem lies in the fact that they'll have to be about a foot in front of my head (I.E. they won't be behind my ears) it's simply impossible for them to be behind me because I'm sitting on my bed which is up against the rear wall; and door frames the speakers will be mounted on are 2 feet off the back wall, are there any speaker positioning tricks to keeping them sounding truly surround still even though they'll be in front of me? I'm thinking I'll angle them a little towards the back wall so they bounce. I'm not sure what else I can do? Please offer some help! :-) thanks

Username: Msvara

Post Number: 10
You can position your surround speakers inward instead of facing forward. You'll have to tweak the sound settings. I wouldn't use the auto-setup feature because that's for dummies.

Manually adjust the sound using the THX setup util found in most THX encoded movies. You know when you start the DVD up there's a Setup menu. Check it out it works well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us