Question about reciever/amp

Username: Glrspot

Post Number: 1
Im sorry if this is already in like 100 other posts so if it is just redirect me their, but i have a 400 watt home theater with a reciever and i was recently given two high quality floor speakers that i wanted to integrate into my system, the reciever sends 55 watts to the right and left channels but the new speakers need 125 watts. I want to buy an amp to power the speakers but my reciever has no pre amp outputs. Is there a way i can use my reciever and an amp together without pre amp outs or would i have to buy a whole new reciever as well. Thanks for any helpful responses

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10806
You speakers do not "need" 125 watts. The number you see on your speaker is the amount of power it can handle. Your receiver will be able to power them.

Have you tried them out with the receiver at all?

Post Number: 2
i havent tried them out with the reciever, but if im sending them the same power that my other speakers are getting, would their be any improvement in the sound, and if i did want to send them them the full 125 watts would i need a new reciever with pre-amp outs

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10807
What receiver are you using and what speakers?

Yes, if you prefer to use a power amp, you would need pre-amps.

Post Number: 3
im using a jvc home theater in a box setup that i bought from bestbuy a few years ago, i have all the svideo and optical cables and stuff but my uncle gave me two floor speakers that say monitor on them, they say liquid cooled and have dials on them for mid and high range frequencies, when you take the cover off its got about a 12 speaker at the bottom and then a 5 1/4 and a 4 inch speaker above that. they are a bit older though and i dont see any numbers on them

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10808
12 speakers??? Or is it a 12 inch driver?

The only concern you should have right now would be the impedance of the speakers. You need to know if it is 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms.

Your JVC should be able to drive those if it is within the JVC's 8 ohm requirement.

Post Number: 4
probably a 12 inch driver, the monitor speakers say 8 ohm and the manual for the jvc says 6 ohm, if its not compatable i think i will just buy a 2 channel 250 watt amp and hook them up to my computer, i just wanted to see if it would be somewhat cheap to get them into my theater set-up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us