Home theater suggestion

Username: Ah0813

Naperville, IL USA

Post Number: 1
I am a complete newbie in home theater. One of my friend bought a home theater with 60+inch Plasma this summer for his new basement from Tweeter. His setup has Denon 3806 with Polk 7.1 speaker system.He spend about 10K but it did not sounded anything special. So I started reading about home theater components, setup and planning. I am getting some ideas but still confused and need help. First, I'll have the HT in my family room which has the kitchen and breakfast nook on one side. it'a open plan.The whole room is 30X16 with family room size 20X16. The viewing distance to the TV will about 12 -13ft. Big window behind the TV. a 56 inch TV should be big enough.By reading the AVguide.com, stereophile, perfectvision and ecoustic reviews and forum for the last 2 months, I realized that I need a receiver and speakers to start with. Some say separates are better than one receiver. BTW what's a separate ? I'll probably spend about 6-10k in next 2 years to finish the HT. For receiver, I narrowed down to NAD753, HK 340, Marantz 5600 or Integra 4.6. I liked NAD but looks like NAD has reliability problem although everyone praises it. For speaker I shortlisted B&W 600,Canton LE, PSB Silver,Magnepan and Kef IQ. I'll be using my Sony wega 32 for the time being. What should be my buying priorities ? receiver, then 2 Floor speakers, then center and rears ? 5.1 should be enough for me. How do I narrow down the long list of receivers and speakers ? I'll buy the TV last.Please help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10604
Abul,
Please refer to the following discussion. It may help you decide on components and may answer a few of your questions.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/260584.html

Username: Ah0813

Naperville, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you, Berny. I'll stay away from the Integra. I don't have the money to buy everything in one shot. I'll probably spend about 2-3 by next summer. Another 2-3 around christmas.Same in 2008. This makes the buying complicated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us