"All video inputs upconverted to component"?

Username: Drdoom

Post Number: 1
In the instructions of my Onkyo HT Receiver (TX-LR552) under features, it lists that "all video inputs upconverted to component" and you are instructed to connect your DVD player to the receiver and then the receiver to the TV via components.

What's wrong with just connecting your DVD player directly to your TV via components without having to go through your receiver? That would require the use of an extra set of Component wires. My set up looks and sounds great but am I missing out on something?

Here's how I have my current set up:

1-HDSTB to HDTV via DVI-D for video

2-HDSTB to reciever via RCA for sound

3-DVD to HDTV via Component for video

4-DVD to reciever via COAX for sound

I've disabled the TV speakers in favor for the surround sound speakers.

STB - Pioneer Voyager-Time Warner NYC

HDTV - Sony KF42WE610 Grand Wega 42"

DVD Player - Sony DVP NS55P

Amp/Receiver - Onkyo TX-LR552

Speakers - Infinity TSS-450 5.1

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 413
Your not missing a thing, Does your stb have a digital out? Some HD channels come in Dolby 5.1, but other than that, there is NO need to route the video feed through your receiver for anything other than switching convenience. But most universal remotes take care of that anyway.

Username: Drdoom

Post Number: 3
Actually I do, it's a COAX, and I have a nice Logitech universal control, powers everything (AC, Light Dimmer, TV, STB, DVD, & Receiver) . Thanks!

Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 3
The advantages to running video through the reciver are the convenience of switch between sources. Also you can upconvert composite and S video to component. This can be helpful if your TV is short on inputs. The last reason is alot of recievers ( like my Onkyo TX SR 703) have menu guides that come up on the screen when you go through to change settings on the reciever.

hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us