Problems with YAMAHA RXV457

Username: Amikoace

Post Number: 2
Hi All,

I'm experiencing difficulties with my new home theater. I've got a Yamaha RXV457 receiver, connected to 5.1 speakers in a medium room.
The system was installed by a professional, and all speakers operate okay (I used the sound test).

Problem is: When I watch a movie, I never hear sound coming from the side, or from the rear--the sound playes in all speakers at roughly the same volume. [When I watch the same movie at my friend's house--he has a different system--I do hear sounds coming from the rear or side sometimes]

The system seems to be configured properly (I'm in DVD mode, and see 8 little squares displayed on the panel).

I tried increasing the output of the rear speakers, using the setup options, but the sounds remain the same when I try to setup again, and there is no notable difference.

I also tried changing to "Ext. Surround", and selecting several different modes (for example, Neo6), but it didn't help. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---Amikoace

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3017
What is the source? If it's cable or satellite, it probably isn't 5.1 audio. If it's a DVD, the player has to be connected with the digital coax or optical output. In the player audio settings digital output needs to be on bitstream.

Post Number: 3
Of course, the source is DVD. I checked everything you said--the cable is coax, and the output is bitstream. The problem must be somewhere else.

BTW, should my surround setting be: Pro Logic, PL-II, PL-IIx or NEO:6 Cinema?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 260
This is why I hate Yamaha. Your receiver only has CD Coaxil input and the DVD input on the receiver can only use Toshlink Optical. Since you already have coaxil cable plugged in it is plugged in to CD so select CD for play back for DVD.You will need to send all your Video directly to the TV from the DVD. Your installer did a lousy job.

Post Number: 4
Sorry for my ignorance, but -- are coaxial and optical the same? I have an optical connection from my DVD to the receiver (I now realized it's probably not the same. so sorry...)

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 262
Setting should be Dolby Digital. Also you may need to check the DVD disc movies' Audio set up menue and make sure the the disc is put putting 5.1 Dolby Digital. What are the individual speaker volumes set at? Front L,front R, center,rear R,rear L,sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 3021
If you're getting options for pro logic and neo, it's not 5.1, or something isn't set up right. It should say surround standard or surround enhanced if the audio is 5.1, and it shouldn't even go to pro logic or neo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3022
Digital coax and TOSLink (optical) are the same thing.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 263
David now I'm confused Digital coax and Toslink optical do the same job but are not the same thing. You can't plug an optical wire into a coax input.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3024
They are both digital inputs, so as far as her question is concerned, they are the same thing.

Post Number: 5
@Casey, you asked about my individual speaker volumes. How do I check them? When I try to use the setup, they always return to the center of the scale (0?)

@David, you said that if I'm getting options for pro logic and neo, I have a problem with the setting. How can I check for sure? How can I correct it?

Thanx!
-A.H

Gold Member

Post Number: 3025
If the DVD is 5.1 audio the display will say surround standard or surround enhanced, at least mine does. Are there RCAs for audio connected from the DVD to the receiver too? If so disconnect them, you don't need them.Put in a DVD that you know has 5.1 or DTS audio, in the set up menus select 5.1 or DTS audio, you should get DTS or surround standard on the display if the player audio settings are right. I don't have that exact receiver, but on mine there's a level button on the remote to adjust indivigual speaker volume. The left/right does volume and the up/down goes from one speaker to the next.The level button is on the upper left of the cross.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 264
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/Brochures/RXV457.jsp This is a link to a brouchure of you receiver. I used to check out you device. The Level button is as David said on the upper left side of the cross with the enter button in the middle, it is also labled Title and Band. You may also need to check the INPUT mode on the front of the receiver to the left of the large volume kob there is a smaller INPUT knob and to the left of that is a small push button labled INPUT MODE press this buton and you should see on the panel DIGITAL,DTS,ANOLOG, AUTO select AUTO or DIGITAL but not Anolog.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us