New and Seeking Advice

Username: Marcot9

Post Number: 1
I'm starting into the world of home theater. My beginnings will have to start small and simple (I'm going to be a college student with little money and little room, but I would like to have good quality for what I can get).

I've been looking at the Samsung ht-q70. Is the ht-q80 any better? For an introductory system would it be better to look into any other brands?

Thanks for any help. It's a long road and this is just a start.

Marco

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9499
Go here.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/240794.html

You are in college man, so don't sweat the system. You shall have copious amounts of partying and your HT system will get a work out and get trashed . By the time you go out in the world and start making money, this old system will be nothing more than a good memory:-)

It will do its job and you will enjoy it.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, that was the link that inspired me to samsung. I ended up with the ht80... which is bascially the same thing, but it worked out cheaper... I have two problems/questions though...

The sound is overall awesome... but the rear left speaker makes very little sound (I checked the wiring alread)... it dos make sound, just not nearly as much as it seems like it should... is this normal for a 5.1 setup? In the manual it says the rear speakers are mainly for 'sound effects,' but it seems there could be more... also, turning the balance to that side doesn't do too much either.

The other question I have is how do I go about adding in the tv connection? I'd like to make use of the speakers if possible and have the tv audio run through the speakers... my dad was thinking that I could use an audio out from the tv and send it to the dvd player... but the problem is my room mate is bringing an older, simpler tv... with only a cable input... is there anyway to set this up?

Thanks for any advice... the purchase itself was still great in my opinion.

Cheers ~ Marco

Post Number: 3
ht-q80... very minor error, but I can't help correcting it... spelling I care not, but info is important to be right ;-)

Marco

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9743
Yes, the rear speakers are mainly fo rsound effects. If your source material is not in 5.1 such as regular CDs, there will be no sound through the rear speakers.

If you want TV connections, check the TV for any audio outputs. They are usually analog and in stereo and an older TV almost always have none. For this, there is nothing you can do.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2991
If you have a stereo VCR, you can use the audio outputs on it if the TV doesn't have them. From my experience, the analog outputs on a VCR give better audio quality than the analog outputs on a TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us