Soup to Nuts Recommendations for new theatre

Username: Oneweight

Post Number: 3
Currently remodeling my house and turned an old bedroom downstairs into my media room as my kids have hijacked what was once our rec room!

Room size is 9.5' wide x 12' long so not huge. TV will be placed long ways and I built a cabinet with 48" available for my TV so I'm thinking 42" panel with a 5:1 speaker setup. Budget is hopefully around $4-6K and viewing will be mostly TV, DVD's for kids and a few movies for me, and probably video games for kids as they get older.

What would you all recommend in:

42" panel - LCD or Plasma? What make, model?
Receiver - make, model?
Speakers - rears will be mounted on side walls and not free standing. Make, model?

I've looked at Klipsch Quintets and Yamaha receivers and the price point/value seems good.

Thx in advance for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9488
Budget for each?

Have you listened to the Yamaha Klipsch combination? There are those who cringe at that pairing. Listen first and determine if you really like it. They are great components, some just don't like them together as they tend to be bright and fatiguing to listen to.

Username: Oneweight

Post Number: 4
Have not listened to them together and thx for the sage advice. Don't have a specific budget for each component but as I note above, would like to stay around 6k all in. Where might you steer me with regards to my questions above? LCD/Plasma?

If not Klipsch and Yamaha, what might you recommend?

thx

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1196
Stick with Plasma for TV then for the restof the 4-6k you aught to do better than Klipsch Quintet and Yamaha.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 84
Klipsch an Yamaha can make a great pairing. Listen for yourself, and you decide.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 251
Panasonic plasma http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4091954 Denon reciever http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3038.asp Paradigm speakers http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/ MiniMon_System.html

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9527
Take a loook at Outlaw Audio as well. With that kind of budget, you may as well go with separates :-)

Username: Paulmc99

Weston, FL USA

Post Number: 2
My 2 cents...

LG -- 42PX4D Plasma TV $2000 - Extremely Bright, and DARK blacks and HDMI! built in digital cabel unit.
Onkyo TX-SR 604B AV - Brand new model w/HDMI connection. 90 wattts per channel, powered zone B. $400 on www.jr.com OR upgrade to the new Onkyo 674 which has component to HDMI upscalling.
Onkyo DV-SP404B $150 w/HDMI connection -DVD Brand new progressive upscaling DVD player. Turns regular DVD's into almost high def. OR SP504, coming out soon which will most likely have SACD included.
Onkyo DX-C390B CD - $150 Excellent 6 disc player.
Speakers - Pretty much any home theatre set from Cambridge soundworks. I've been a huge fan of these speakers for years. Tip - go to the website, then click on "outlet" bottom left. This takes you to there discount center where they sell B stock. I've bought two sets of speakers and highly reccomend this low cost option. Good 5 speaker plus powered sub set for $500-$1000.
Hope this helps....

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 118
For best sound, your front speakers and display should be on the short wall.

If this is a dedicated room and you can control the light, you may want to consider front projection. It is far more cost effective, inch for inch diagonal. Allows for more money on speakers and receivers.

Lots of good receivers out there so it is hard to go wrong with the popular brands like Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, etc.

Here is a site for DVD player selection.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Good Luck and keep us posted. Listen to as many brands and types that you can find dealers for.

Take good notes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us