Need help getting audio from old TV into home theater system

Username: Stratman2525

New York, NY United States

Post Number: 1
Hi. I have an old TV with just the standard cable in/out jacks on the back. I have it working nicely with a DVD/VCR combo running through an inexpensive Walmart Durabrand home theater system. I use a Philips switch box to switch between the DVD, TV and a Playstation. The DVD and Playstation work fine through the speakers, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the TV audio to play through the external speaker system. I don't have or use a cable box, just the coax cable from outside my house into a signal booster, then it runs into my TV. A guy from Radio Shack told me to run RCA cables from the DVD audio output jacks to the external speaker system or Philips switch box but that didn't work. I'm at my wits end--any help would be appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1058
Howard, you must run the cable into the DVD/VCR, then out from that into the TV. You need to do that anyway if you have any need to record a TV show on the VCR. Then you run the RCA cables from audio out on the DVD/VCR into the Durabrand HT system. You will have to power up the DVD/VCR for the signal to get sent to the Durabrand.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us