No Audio on Component 1

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Post Number: 15
Hi, I'm hoping that someone has a quick fix for me here. I have an LG 42 inch Plasma which is wired so that I can get audio from the TV only (without turning on my Surround System) or from turning on my Surround Sound System. Either way, the TV inout is kept on Component 1 thru some wiring suggestions from many of you in this forum.

For some reason, when I turn my TV on, I can no longer hear audio from the TV when on Component 1. It still works fine when I fire up the entire surround system, but for some reason, no longer works as a stand alone with my TV only. I do get sound from the TV when it is set to CAT TV4, but not for Component 1. I am stumped. I asked my kids if they changed any settings ort did anything to cause this and they said No. I also checked to make sure the Mute button was not on and it ws not.

I could sure use some trouble shooting help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 337
Component cables transmit video info only, the audio data still has to be sent via the analog rca cables (red/white) associated with that input (they are probably on top and inline with the component ones).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks Michael. From reading your post, I'm guessing that you think we have a wire disconnected somewhere. I can assure you that nothing has been touched. I am starting more and more to think something is wrong with my TV.

If you have some way of me testing this, please let me know. You say "they ate probbaly on top and inline with the component ones.." I have no idea what you mean.. On top of what? Are you referring to the comcast box?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 340
Not disconnected, I mean never connected. Your component cables are the red/green/blue ones. These do not and never have transmitted the audio signal to your TV's internal speakers. For those to work you need your rca cables hooked from your stb to your TV. So look on top or underneath of your Component one "ins" on your TV, there will be a space for two more cables that are coloured red and white; that is where your audio cables get plugged in to your TV for the internal speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
It always was connected from Day 1! I always got audio from the TV and things have been working fine since it was first installed about 6 months ago. Never a probelms until today. So, something happened that I need to figure out. I still keep going back to initial suspicion that the TV Component 1 input may have become defective.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9080
Go through your TV's audio set-up. Make sure that the internal speakers were not turned off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I did that already. Like I said in an earlier post - I am gettimg audio when the TV is switched to CATTV4 (but not Component 1). I will try calling LG today to see if they can help because it appears we are all out of ideas.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 343
It sounds like you got all the end-user bases covered. Sounds like a time for warranty man!

Username: Jaday

Post Number: 6
You might want to switch your cables over to a Component 2 input and see if that clears up the problem. Have you actually looked around the back of the TV and checked to make sure the cables are all still snugly connected? Just make sure you follow each of the five cables from your comcast box to your tv

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks James. My problem is that the Plasma is mounted very tightly to the wall and I can't make any wiring changes. I was able to get my hands up there to check that all wires / jacks are secure and they were. But, I can't make a switch to component 2 on the back of the TV. Right now my DVD is connected to Component 2 of thne TV, so maybe there's a way I can plug wires that are currently in the comcast box to the DVD? Also, I called LG and even though the Plasma is under warranty they will not come out to service the TV unless I can pull it down from the mount (which is next to impossible). Help! No win situation here.

SC

Post Number: 10
Are you getting audio out of your DVD player through your tv? Try hooking your dvd player up using the cables that are currently into your comcast box. Then hook the comcast box to the cables that were running from the DVD Player (Component 2). See what happens there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
No - I do not get audio out of my DVD player thru my TV - not because anything is broken, but because I never asked my installer to configure the DVD to play through the TV. I saw no need for it and have it configured only to play through the Rotel / Paradigm Surround Sound equipment. So, with that said, what can you suggest? Can I still try moving the wires as you suggested? Will that work based on what I just told you about the way the DVD is configured.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 245
I don't know the comcast box but the time warner box has its own volume control that if it where to be turned all the way down there would be no sound. What james is saying is that you should take the wires out of the back of your cable box and hook them up to a dvd player to see if you are getting any sound through the TV. This will help determine if the problem is the TV the Cable box or the wires them selves.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 345
It could very well be that since your TV is so close to the wall that your wires got too bent between the wall and the TV and they are broken (inside the jacket).

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 11
Yeah, thanks for the clarification, Casey. I also agree with Michael that if you're having this much trouble getting to the inputs, you may want to try some other cables and see if the cable got severed. Let me recap the connections and we can try one other troubleshooting tip...

From your comcast box, you have component video cables going to your tv along with stereo audio cables. Then, going from the box to your receiver you are using a digital coax or optical cable?

To check the comcast box's audio outputs, run the stereo connection from the comcast box to the receiver and disconnect the digital cable. If you can get sound now, we know its not your cable box. That either leaves the tv or the cable thats stuck in the back of the tv

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
In response to Casey and James... Geeze, I'm not sure I would know what inputs to connect to on the back of the DVD (that are now in the Comcast box). Also, my objective, I would think - is to check Component 1 (not Component 2). I think what you're trying to tell me is if I move the wires from the Comcast box to the DVD player, I should get "DVD audio" out of Component 1 on the TV? I certainly would not be able to get cable TV anymore since I am disconnected from the Comcast box. That would answer the question as to whether the TV is bad. Does that sound right?

Also, my comcast box does not have a volume control and rememeber - I am getting audio from the Surround Sound system when the TV is on Component 1 so that makes me think there is nothing wrong with the comcast box.

Michaeal - as far as your question on the wires being too tight.. I guess its possible, but unlikely. I can get my hand up the back of the TV and can feel each connection (I just can't see it). Also, it has been working for the last 6 months with no problems. It would be odd that all of a sudden there was a wiring problem, but I guess you never know..

FYI - I contacted a few TV repair stores today and every one of them felt the issue was a bad baord in the TV. Who knows. But we'll keep trying.

James and Casey - if you could answer my DVD wiring questions, I will try that route. Thanks to all!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 347
Then you need to buy a brand new TV, brand new DVD player, brand new reciever, and cables. Tear your old TV out of the wall, and throw everything out. Replace with all new eqpt.

To clarify, the reason they wanted you to hook it into the TV is not to "fix" your problem, but to test the cables. If you get dvd audio from component 1 with those cables plugged in, the problem is you STB, if you get nothing from both (as I suspect will be the case) it is your wires - OR - the audio inputs for component 1.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 348
*hook it into the DVD player...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ok - Here's the latest. Based on your recommendations, I figured out how to take the 5 wires from my Comcast Box, and plug them into my DVD Player to test whether I get audio from the DVD in Component 1 of the TV. The answer is YES -Component 1 was able to play audio from the DVD! So, what can I conclude? Should I conclude nothing is wrong with the TV since I am now getting audio from Component 1 using the DVD? Or could there still be a TV problem? I think we can rule out that the connections are not lose nor are the wires bad since I got audio from the DVD. Therefore... Could it be something wrong with the Comcast Box? I want to say Yes, but.. it works fine when I play audio on the Surround Sound System. So - I called Comcast and asked to have my HD Box replaced and they said there is nothing wrong with their box since I am getting audio from the Surround Sound System and I am getting a good picture. I asked for a tech to come out and they said NO. So, I ask you guys... could the problem really be the Comcast Box even though I get good video and I do get good audio from the Surround Sound only?

One last thing - I see that my installer has some kind of splitter coming out of the back of the Comcast Box. Let me describe it.. there is a wire marked "cable" going into the splitter and two wires coming out of the splitter.. One says "Pip" and the other is connected to the Comcast Box. I am guessing this splitter is used because I requested audio on Component 1 when thr TV is on or when the Surround Sound System is on. Could the splitter be bad?

I just spent 2 hrs. checking every connection and every setting and everyting looks good. I am out of ideas. What should I do? I now think it's not the TV; it's certauinly not the wiring and Comcast won't come out to test my box because they say all is working fine. HELP!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1051
Frank, let me pop in here and make two points.
1. Every cable box I have ever seen does indeed have a volume control on it. I'm not talking about the volume control on the cable remote, but rather on the front of the box itself. Check that and if you see volume +/-, turn it up to max.

2. Just because you are getting audio via the digital audio output on the cable box does not mean that the analog R/L output is automatically good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
John, In your #2 statement, are you trying to tell me that the TV could still be bad? or are referring to the cable box could still be bad. Should I be challenging the TV Repair guy or the Comcast guy?

PS - I will go check again for the volume control on my comcast box but I looked once already and did not see it.

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 13
Well, I really don't know... it seems like I'd have to be there to do any more troubleshooting and playing around with it all to isolate the problem. I would say that I know it's a hassle to take down the plasma, but that might be the best way here. Just rewire the system and see what happens. Trade out cables, see if that helps. Test out other imputs, see if that changes things. Since you can still get audio on other sources on your TV and still get audio from your receiver through the comcast box, it does seem like theres a cable issue somewhere... but I just don't know without playing with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I appreciate everyone trying to help me, but I'm still not there yet.. Alot of progress was made yesterday but I still need to figure out where to focus my attention. We have alot of information now, but I'm still not sure what can be ruled out as not broken.

With the succesful test I performed in running the DVD thru TV Component 1, is that enough to say that TV is not broken? I don't know.

Now, what about the Comcast box. Any other test I can perform there. It appears to be working except for the issue of no audio to TV Component 1. It works for audio for Antenna (CATTV4) and it works fine when playing on the Surround Sound System, but no audio still on thne TV!

I mentioned something in my post yesterday about this splitter that is connected into the Comcast Box. What do you think about that? Could that be defective?

I'm running out of time here, because I have a best Buy TV guy coming at the end of this week and I am inclined to think the TV is not my issue.

Finally - I really do not want to take the Plasma down from the wall if I can help. It weighs about 95 lbs and I don't want to mess anything up including the existing wiring connections. Again, I am very new at all this and do not know what you guys know, but I believe bad wiring is not my issue. help!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1052
Frank:
"2. Just because you are getting audio via the digital audio output on the cable box does not mean that the analog R/L output is automatically good."

You are using the cable box's digital audio output into the Rotel, but the cable box's analog red/white R/L output is going into component 1 on the TV. I was merely thinking that just because the digital output is working OK doesn't necessarily mean the R/L output is good. I am suggesting that the problem lies with the cable box's analog output.

The other possibility is a bad patch cord, but it seems highly unlikely that both channels would go bad "just like that, out of the blue."

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 351
Just what I was thinking. It might be a hardware set up problem, see if the analogs work thorugh component 1 WITHOUT the optical cable plugged into your STB.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Success! Just wanted to let all of you know that the problem was the Comcast Box! I brought the defective one back to my local Comcast Annex this afternoon and got a new one. Sure enough - Cable Audio on Component 1 fired right up on the TV!! I cannot thank all of you enough for hanging in there with me on this problem! When you're in the Philly area, stop by for a beer and a cheesesteak or Hoagie!! Thanks Guys!

Frank

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 19
Sweet, good to hear! Maybe once I am of legal drinking age and in the Philly area I might stop by :-). Glad to hear that it wasn't the tv!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1053
Yes
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=3&post=612004#POST612004

and yes
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=3&post=612077#POST612077
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help