Buying a television

Username: Mr_h

Post Number: 1
I am looking into buying a rear projection tv. I was told that I might want to wait until some new hd dvd technology came out before I bought. Is there any truth to this or can i get a tv now that will work with this new technology?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 305
You could chase technology for the rest of your life and never buy anything that way. There is no such thing as "future-proofing". Your best bet if you want to take advantage of HD DVD is to buy a 1080p TV, definitely 50in or plus (60in looks sweet). Having said that though, I think you ARE best-served by at least waiting a year or so before you invest in HD-DVD, to see which of the two emerging formats (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) win the marketing game. For my money, HD DVD seems to be the superior technology at start of play, but Blu-Ray could catch them after some planned upgrades are put in place. In the mean time there are indeed some good upconverting players out there that have an excellent HD pic. Between that and some of the fine HD channels avail, that should keep your appetite sated until the next big thing comes along!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 306
Oh, btw, if you have decided that it is rear-projection LCD you want (as opposed to plasma or DLP) then Sony makes some of the best.

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 65
I bought the Sony kd-fe42a10 and I couldnt be happier. its just the right size

Post Number: 2
If I buy a new TV now do I need to make sure it has certain options so that it is compatible with whatever HD DVD format wins the marketing game in the future?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 311
As I mentioned before, you will want it to display 1080p, other than that, you will be probably have more "options" than you will ever need. The doo-dad you want to have lots of nooks and crannies is your receiver/decoder.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 312
Before you buy anything though, post the piece you are planning on getting and the price...

Username: Jaday

Post Number: 3
Yeah, as far as being "prepared," all you can really do is get an HD tv with hdmi inputs (preferably 2). Getting a 1080p set will help primarily when you're watching a 50+" TV or sitting pretty close to the TV (within 8 feet or so). What kind of television do you have in mind? What sort of size? I agree with Michael that Sony makes some great LCD projo's and then I like Samsung's for DLPs.

Post Number: 3
i'm thinking the samsung 50" 1080p. i've only just started looking into actual prices and places. does $1000 more for a 1080 than a 720 sound right? i saw the the samsung for $2660 at best buy. what about the WEGA (or whatever) by sony?

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 67
My 2 cents,

Spending more for 1080p is a waste of money unless your screen will be 65" or larger. Those who are REALLY excited about 1080p(for good reason) are those with PJs and viewing on screens 8' and larger. That's where it will really make a difference.

On a 50", 720p will look equally excellent.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8932
People with money to spend on a TV with 1080p don't really care if it makes a difference or not. The fact that it is there will make a difference enough to justify anything, visible or not.

That's like saying to Porsche owner that the car is a waste of money when a Hyundai will get from one place to another just as well.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 315
Sort of... I guess it is my way of compensating for the inability to truly "future-proof". MY personal theory is that TVs like this will be lasting me 10 years or or so (hence the store-bought product service plan). By choosing a 1080p screen, you get a little flexibility with respect to the new formats that may become as accessible to the public in a year or two as big-screen high-def TVs are now. When this tech was "new" a 50in 1080i cost three times as much as a 50in 1080p does now, so when the day comes that there are "cheap" HD DVD players, who wouldn't want to play it at their native resolution?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8939
"Future-proof" is such great marketing tool, albeit futile. I think it is a great way to make a sale knowing that no matter what, you still have to upgrade.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 318
Yup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us