HTIB or Seperate DVD player-need some advice:

Bronze Member
Username: Kwitel

Post Number: 11
Hey,
Thanx for reading this...
So, im about to get a plasma and I need a nice surround sound system to go with it. However, my budget tops out at about $450.
I had my eye on the new Panasonic sc-ht740 (i have a 450sf apartment)but apparently it doesnt have any digital audio ins??-what does that mean exactly?
Anyways, im thinking that I dont need a 5 disc carousel dvd/cd player b/c I will probably just connect my ipod to the receiver.
Should I just get a speaker system with an amp and buy a seperate DVD player, or should I go with an HTIB?
I guess if a solid system exists that has everything all in one, id get that...but I really dont know what im doing.

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!

P.S. If you guys can offer me a good review site other than Cnet that would be of great help too.

thanx again.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8823
A digital audio input is needed if you intend on using peripherals that use digital audio outputs. DVD players may fall into this category. Some cable companies' decoder boxes have digital audio outputs (along with regular) if they offer digital surround with their service.

Putting together a system will cost you more as opposed to getting a home theater in a box.

Bronze Member
Username: Kwitel

Post Number: 12
This maybe an idiotic question...
What kind of wire is used in digital in? Is that component wiring?
If it doesnt have a digital in, then how does the DVD connect?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2866
Digital inputs are either coax, RCA, or optical, TOSLink.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us