Onkyo HTS-650 LFE Problem Resolved on Refurb Units!

Anonymous
I was interested in purchasing a refurb unit from OnkyoUSA.com because the $329 price tag.

I called and spoke to someone in sales and they stated that the LFE problem had been resolved in all of their refurb units!

I purchased the HTS-650 for a total of $369! The price breakdown was $319 (less $10 for joining Club Onkyo which is FREE) and I went ahead and paid the $50 for the extra 2 year warranty which extended the refurb warranty to 3 years parts and labor. Add FREE shipping in with this deal and I should have it on my doorstep in 3-4 business days $200 less than Circuit City.

jetawithprist
that sounds like a sweet deal. can you let me know how it looks when you get it?

Anonymous
With the LFE problem, there may be a lot of buyers who returned the defective units back to Circuit City then back to ONKYO. ONKYO now should have a huge stock of repaired refurbished HTS-650. It appears ONkyo is selling them at an excellent price.

I got my system with the LFE problem from CC for $439 + taxes at CC in February. It sounds great even with the lfe problem. Now that it is fixed it sounds even better. I can't complain about he quality of the system except for the hassle of getting it fixed. ONKYO service rep at NJ was excellent. If you paid an extra $50 for the 3 year warrant, you should get good service should you have any problem with the system. I just envy you guys that you can get this excellent system at such a great price. Enjoy!!!!!

Anonymous
I think you are right. Onkyo must have been deluged with the returned systems. They are repairing the LFE problem in-house and then selling them at a tremendous savings!

I will post back to this thread once the system arrives and report its condition

Econman
Strange, strange, strange... I have seen a couple of postings on this BBS claiming they got the HTS-650 for under $350, but oddly enough, every time I go on onkyousa.com, the price is still the same: $439. Maybe some people just inverted the first 2 digits of the price, or I am awfully unlucky! Anyway, this seems more and more strange to me, and I give up on this system: I am buying the VSX-D711 on clearance at $175 at CC, and the Onkyo set of speakers for $250 on sale.

Happy surround everyone!

Anonymous
Strange, strange strange??? There is no digit inversion going on Econman. Just a little poking around OnkyoUSA.com and you will find the magical price point you seek.

Here is the procedure for all you non-believers. Go to OnkyoUSA.com., now click on the Shop Onkyo link located in upper right corner of the screen. It's the one with the little rolling ball. You will now be taken to a page with all the products that Onkyo has for sale. Click on the Log In link located in the upper right corner.

If you are an existing user, log in with username and password. There is also a link for new users. By answering a few simple questions, you will end up joining ClubOnkyo. Once you are logged in, go back and view the prices for refurbished items and magically there will be club prices in red under certain items. You also get 10 Onkyo point worth $1 each to deduct from any online purchases. I saved $10 on my HT-s650 bringing the price down to $319. I paid the extra $50 for the 3 year warranty for a grand total of $369. Registration was also FREE!!

After I ordered by system, I got another 18 bonus points to use for future purchases!

Congrats to anyone who is willing to do a little investigation and get a TERRIFIC deal on a GREAT systems.

Anonymous
I just envy you guys getting it as such a great price. I suppose it includes free shipping and no state taxes too (if you don't live in NJ).

$319 is just a steal.

Anonymous
Yup... Free shipping and no sales tax.

XO
Apparently the price is no longer valid as of Today. Someone please confirm.

Anonymous
To XO: I think you're right. I actually ordered it yesterday evening, and the price was still $330 at the time. Hopefully they won't call me to tell me there is a problem with my order!

XO
I found it again today... for those of you who purchased this way, was there any cosmetic defect on the refurb unit? or any other problems?

Anonymous
Mine arrived yesterday after placing order on the 4th. The unit and speakers look brand new. There are no scratches or blemishes. The only thing that identifys this unit as a refurb is the sticker located on the back that says refurbished 1 year warranty. I paid the extra $50 to get the 2 year parts and labor extension for a total of 3 years coverage.

Econman
Not fixed on mine, very unfortunately... I got my refurb unit today (really cannot tell it's a refurb). Mode 3, THX optimizer: nothing from the subwoofer except a very, very weak heartbeat. Strange though: I did many comparisons with a Pioneer D711 I am gonna return to CC, and I just cannot tell the difference between Mode 1 in the Onkyo and the whole thing in the Pioneer. Whatever, I guess I'll have to stop by the Onkyo service dealer in the enxt few days.

Mark
I called customer service and they said the LFE problem is fixed on all the refurb units.... I ordermine for $319. Wahoooo!!!!

Econman
Mark - I hope it is fixed on yours. But it is definitely not fixed on all their refurb units; got mine and it has the LFE bug.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Got my refurb unit last week and held my breath when I ran the THX optimizer.. Lo and behold, when it was the subwoofers turn to bellow a low tone, all I got was a sound similar to a skipping heart beat! RATS!! Stung by the LFE bug! Don't get me wrong, once I enabled my Xbox for Dolby Digital and DTS, I was totally blown away. It is just the fact that I have a product that is less than complete. I called an authorized service center and was told that it would take about 10 days to replace an IC chip along with several capacitors... Oh well.. I did get my unit for $200 less than Circuit City.. Onkyo is still the best value in my book... just my 2 cents.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us