HD Cable Vs Satellite

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 54
I'm beginning some research to choose between HD cable and Satellite service providers. This will be my next addition to my home theatre.

Could you describe some of the pros and cons of each and your reason for a personal preferrence.

My home theatre currently consists of Paradigm speakers, Panasonic DVD, Denon Receiver, Sony Projector and Stewart 92 inch screen.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 244
As far as Quatity DiectTV Satellite is what it is 10 High Def plus HBO & Showtime. But cable on the other hand is diffrent depending on your carrier. Time Warner is no way as good as Cable Visions IO. DirecTV has the sports packages if you care. DirectTV has a small edge in picture.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 298
Right what parameters are you comparing? As Casey pointed out, the same channel via either source on the same TV are comparable.

Otherwise you list out the channels and features you want, and find out how much each provider would charge you for them. Pick the cheapest....

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2862
If you live in a place that gets heavy rain or snow, they can be a problem with mini dishes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
I guess I'm leaning away from satellite because of some concerns that signal reception may not be as "clean".

I live in Ontario Canada and we get all kinds of weather.

That being said, other than financial, is there any reason to go satellite over cable?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 308
No, even your cable provider gets their signal via sat... ;-) For the record, I am Digital Cable myself, but only becasue they offered a better deal in the long-term.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
What about bandwidth issues?

Username: Rickstar

Post Number: 1
cable my preferience

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I thought there might be a little more information available on this subject.

Other than cost, aren't there any technical issues?

Do you have any tips for getting the best prices from providers?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1173
What do you mean by bandwidth? Aer you trying to get internet access in conjunction?

As far as prices are concerned, they all have package prices that are pretty fixed. They may have specials running from time to time depending on the area, and you may be able to get them to drop their prices for a few months, but overall they will get you since you really don't have many choices.

If you are in Ontario you are probably better off with cable.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 319
That's what I meant by "long-term". The emerging Satellite provider here had a great "first 6 months" offer, but after that, it was even more expensive. Although, maybe I should call up my cable guys and say they should match that offer for the next 6 months or I will go there...

Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 8
They are really starting to get competitive. The Digital cable works great like the new In Demand which allows you to watch HBO, ShowTime, Starz and movies that are stored in their system at any time. If you miss a show you can catch it later because it's saved.

Post Number: 9
Dont' think they have that feature on satellite.

Post Number: 10
I hear that they are putting more sports on satellite though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
If you choose the satellite you will then have to figure if you want Dishnetwork or Direct TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
good luck on your search.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I'm very intrested if satellite has the InDemand which is saved on your system. If anyone knows please let me know.

Username: Remye

Post Number: 3
One point that has been brought up to me as I have tried to make this same decision is that digital cable is not "All Digital" like satellite is. With cable some of the channels come over the feed in standard analog format and others are digital. Satelite is all digital. I've been told that the picture on any given channel on an HDTV from digital feed (satellite) is superior to the picture from the analog feed (cable). We have Comcast in my neighborhood. Does anyone know if there is any merit to this?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2915
Of course an HDTV signal is going to be far superior to an analog signal, but you need an HDTV. There are no analog HDTV feeds.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 346
Yea, Dave is right. Your confusing standard analog channels with digital channels. With your basic cable set up, you get analog, those same channels will be analog even with your digital box, however MOST service providers will give you those same stations in digital formats on another channel.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Correct, some channels on digital cable are still giving the analog signal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
This is for the mainly for the customers who haven't switched over to digital cable yet.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9257
You think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I got some more information, perhaps you care to comment.

It is true that signal source is often satellite but these source signals use full bandwidth (no compression).

Satellite service providers must compress the bandwidth for cost reasons to deliver so many channels. Full bandwidth would require launching many more multi-million dollar satellites.

Cable providers delivering land based signals to the customers are not restricted by this compression requirement.

The result is that because cable providers do not compress (as much?) they send a better clearer more high definition signal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1189
Hog the compression that you are referring to is really a non-ssue at this point. The problem is that so many sources of the programming are still low-def. That is the source is still shot in lower resolution and/or the broadcast is still in lower res. So the compression is really not something to worry about for quite a while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
That's not what I heard. There are more and more HD sources all the time. It's all about bandwidth in the news today. The big satellite service providers are chomping at the bit for additional satellite licenses from the government.

Also, if the next big satellite change is to Mpeg4 compression, doesn't that indicate a deficiency with the current Mpeg2 compression process? Mpeg4 will drive new dishes and receivers to customers I believe.

When signals are compressed as they are from satellite service providers, they need to be uncompressed and will show artifacts.

What is incorrect about any of these statements?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1190
None of your statements are incorrect however:

More and more HD sources are coming, but out of 400 some odd channels available to me on my Comcast, I have about 11 or 12 that broadcast in HD. Out of those you get very few programming that is actually shot in HD, including some (not most) live sports, and some regular TV programs and some movies

The compression software can be downloaded via satellites to the receivers. It definitly shouldn't require a dish upgrade since they are dumb anyway. Remember that mostly you don't pay for those things anyway.

My Comcast signal (uncompressed supposedly) constantly shows flakes and image breakups. So there may not be much advantages there.

I think I would base my decision on this topic on content availablity and weather issues (storms or even rain sometimes knock out satellite availability, someone may have mentioned this here before), not so much on compression issues
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us