Speaker Set-Up Question

Username: Mnjbates

Post Number: 1
I'm creating a 7.1 system in a basement room that is about 28' by 15' and about 9' high. My question regards the back two speakers. I am placing my tv and front 3 speakers at one end of the room and have two choices regarding how to place the back speakers. (please see attached graphic

I can either place the rear speakers in the ceiling a couple of feet behind the viewing area or I can place speakers on the wall (or on stands) at the back end of the room (about 12 to 14 feet behind the viewing area). I need to keep the area behind the viewing area open for the kids to play in. Any suggestions about which alignment would create the best sound field? The distance from the TV (a 50" DLP) to the viewing area is about 13-14'.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it! Take care.Upload

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 287
If you can, reverse it. Reverse the viewing area and push the TV to the back where the play area is, keeping the viewing area 6-8 ft from the TV, right now I think you will find it too far. Then you can have the kid's area where you currently have the TV set up. The reason I did not just say push the viewing area forward is because of that doorway, messing with your rear surround placement. As to your current set up, you will have to go with the ceiling mounts, because 15 ft is just too far for your back surrounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 46
Matt,
I dont think there is any place for ceiling speakers in HT, except as a last resort.(I suppose it beats nothing) I recommend placement along the back wall. Distance isnt really a factor because you will level the db output anyway to your primary seating position.

A second note is that seating in the center of the room isnt a good idea because of nulls. You'll want to move the seating forward or back away from the center. Sonically, about 1/3 way up from the back wall is ideal. If your screen size isnt large enough to move seating back, you might consider moving your seating forward. Your goal should be to sit back about 1.5-2.5 screen widths distance from your screen.

Good Luck

Username: Mnjbates

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. By the way, I can't reverse the viewing area because there is a doorway at the back of the room (it didn't show up well on the graphic. There is a set of french doors to another room). Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 288
I suppose it did actually, looking closer I can see a lighter shade of grey.

You are definitely going to have to move your seating towards the screen though, and distance is a factor, because even maxing out the Db level of the back surrounds will not be enough for casual viewing. Now instead of ceiling speakers, maybe you can put your back surrounds on stands a foot or two (max) behind your seating area.

Username: Sameernatekar

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have 5.1 Creative speaker system. And my computer is located in the corner ( Bluse colored) of room of 20*16 Feet . As shown in picture. Sofa is also shown in figure. So how I should arrange my speakers? Other furniture (Show case) is on opposite side of the computer. and Windows is in the front of the Sofa near to compter. So this is the only place where I can keep my computer.
Thanks and Regards,
Sameer Upload

Username: Sameernatekar

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 2
Hi,
I have 5.1 Creative speaker system. And my computer is located in the corner ( Bluse colored) of room of 20*16 Feet . As shown in picture. Sofa is also shown in figure. So how I should arrange my speakers? Other furniture (Show case) is on opposite side of the computer. and Windows is in the front of the Sofa near to compter. So this is the only place where I can keep my computer.
Thanks and Regards,
Sameer Upload

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9004
Experiment sameer. You really can't do much for computer speakers when you try to turn them into a home theater speakers.

And next time start your own thread! Don't hijack another for your own selfish reason!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us