ONKYO HTIB receiver - hot temperature

Username: Bentot

Post Number: 1
I just got a brand new ONKYO HT-S790 HTIB and placed it inside the tv stand with an open front and back. Just wondering why? for a couple of hours of zest from listening, the receiver becomes very hot, is this normal?

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 93
yes it all depends on how loud your playing your music if its loud that make the amp work harder adn if it normal temp's over a period of time yes it will get hot

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 18
I have a small fan on mine...I face in downwards on the top of the receiver. Keeps it much cooler. I worried about that since it is in a somewhat closed area in my entertainment center.

Username: Kevin_l

Post Number: 1
Having a similar issue w/ the same unit. Ran so hot it quit working after 2 hours. [three days out of the box] Thermal cutout I suspect. Went to local authorized service in San Diego. After a month [7 to 10 days turnaround is what they said] they told me that there was nothing wrong with it. I picked it up and plugged it back in, 2 hours later same problem. Wish me luck with third call to corporate support, maybe they will actually fix or replace it. If I get any answers I'll post what I find. [6 weeks and still waiting ]

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3053
I use 2 PC power supply fans on my receiver, 1 between the transformer and heat sink, the other on the opposite side of the heat sink. They blow out, not in. Works great.

Username: Flags

Post Number: 4
You need to have 18 inches above and 8 inches on all three sides in an open area. I keep mine on an end table and have no problem when running volume at 45 for 14 to 16 hours straight.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1251
I run mine in a very tight space and it takes around 12 hours to get hot running at around -5dB, 4 hours when satellite or dvd is on.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13053
What speakers are you running with this receiver? chec

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 30
As with many high output receivers you need a fan on them. I remember in college dorm this guy use to have a good size fan on his receiver. Anyhow, PUT A FAN ON IT. I have a very small fan...maybe 4" in diameter on mine. Gets warm, but never too hot nor does it stop working...and I crank it with movies on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us