HDMI incompatibility?

Username: Remye

Post Number: 1
Hi,

This site has me worried that my Home Theater Setup & Planning is flawed. After much research I ordered the new Panasonic TH50PX600U plasma TV, the new Denon 2807 AVR, and HD DirecTV. I am expecting all of this to be in place in the next few weeks. My thought is that since all of these have HDMI, I go out of the DirecTV into the AVR ond out to the speakers and the TV. When I just want to watch TV the HDMI connection allows the sound to go through the AVR and into the TV. Alternately when I want full surround sound the AVR can send audio out to the speakers.
That is the plan anyway.

I've since gathered that HDMI is not quite standardized yet. Is this correct? Why would this be? Will my Home Theater planning not work?
Should I be looking at some other combination of equipment? DirecTV was very excited about telling my that my HD Receiver would be upgraded free of charge to an MPEG-4 HD Receiver in the fall. Would this help with the HDMI issue?

I've also heard that some equipment has HDMI 1.0 and Some has HDMI 1.1 and that HDMI is not backwards compatible. Is there any validity to this?

I know this is a lot of questions but I'd appreciate any response or advice you al can give.

Thanks
Remy

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1028
Remy, you can read some of the FAQs on HDMI's site, specifically on issues of compatibility.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp#q6_10

I would think that the Denon would pass the digital audio and video intact to the TV, provided it has the necessary HDCP "repeater" function. Since the Denon is a new model, there shouldn't be a problem. So you should be able to see and hear the sat box's HDMI output on the TV.

The other question is whether the Denon will recognize and process the audio signal on its HDMI inputs. Some receiver manufacturers (e.g. Sony) have taken the easy way out and have "pass-through" HDMI switching. This means that separate digital audio connections have to be made on the AVR's coax/optical inputs in order for the receiver to process the audio signal. I cannot answer if this true of the Denon, but it may be necessary to connect the sat box's digital audio output into the Denon.

MPEG-4 is a new high powered A/V compression code/decode (codec) that would be handled internally by the DirecTV receiver and would not affect your use of its HDMI output.

The people at HDMI claim that all newer versions of HDMI are backwards compatible with older versions..

Username: Remye

Post Number: 2
Thank you John. I appreciate the response.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us