Hold your breath/Cross your fingers!

Anonymous
Hello all! I'm rather new to the Home theater thing but, thanks to you guys I'm learning alot!
Here's my story:
Have a baby on the way and wanted to get a good HDTV and HTIB before the new arrival(as I know the baby gets all the money for the next decade or so! :O)).
So I ventured down to Circuit City and purchased a Panasonic 53" HDTV projection which I had planned to use with my existing HTIB (dont laugh... it was a VENTURER.) Picked up a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player as well!
Got it all home and hooked everything up when I learned my first lesson:
"My soround wouldnt play in soround when run through an external DVD player!" *&%$@$#@!

I excepted that and realized it was time to step up to a better system!
Well lets enjoy a DVD anyway!
LESSON #2: "The DVD player aint working right!"
On any "black screen" the screen is really dark red and I'm getting distortion lines! (only when dark or black!) And no it was'nt sheilding problems with the speakers! :O)

So I pack it all back up and head back to the big city on my next day off!
I head over to BESTBUY and there sitting on an "OPEN BOX" shelf is my savior! The SAMSUNG DT-150! $200 and all it needs is speaker wire! Thats got my name written all over it!
I get my "SAVIOR" home and spend 3 hours hooking it all up (no I'm not slow, Had to run wires under house! :O)). Pop in a dvd and fall in love! The VIDEO is stunning, The AUDIO is "outstanding" for the price! I'm all set! "Honey? Can I have the tv for a little while? Sure I'll go on the computer for a bit!
Hey I wonder how that system rates? Thats when I found this place! And much to my dismay.... found out about all the problems with the DT-150 overheating! $%@#%$#@&%!
So to sum it all up thanks to you guys.... my savior turned out to be a one night stand!!! No really I MEAN THANKS To YOU GUYS!
Back to BESTBUY I go!
Now here comes the Hold your breath/Cross your fingers part!
I wound up at SEARS and picked up a HT-DL200P for $249.
The system is much larger than the DT-150 and the speakers are rather plain, but it seems that it has all the advantages of the DT-150, without to many negatives.
Got it all wired and watched 2 dvd's without any problems(knocking on wood). The unit does seem to stay alot cooler than the DT-150, in fact I found almost zero surface temperature heat after 4 hours, where the DT-150 was rather warm!
I know there are better systems out there, but for the price this seems like it might be the best system for someone who likes the DT-150(or is looking for a great HTIB witout paying on a system till your newborn starts college), but doesnt want to chance the overheating ordeal!

Pros:
Price,Power,Sound Quality,Video Quality,Progressive Scan,Easy Setup

Cons:
Limtited Speaker Adjustments,Remote Doesnt Work Alot Of Brands,"Plain Looking Speakers",Rather Large Reciever

With all that said I hope that I wont become the first one to have to write-in about a overheating problem, or anything else problematic! Thanks to all of you for the helpful information!

Anonymous
Just an update: I have yet to find any problems with overheating on this unit(knocking on wood)still seems to run cool! Check it out if you can pretty impressed so far! Attack of the clones on a 53" panasonic with this unit is just SICK! Thought my wife was gonna go into labor during the asteroid field scene! :O)

Hey I just got the HT-DL200P but It didnt come with a video cable to connect the dvd reciever to the t.v. Does it use the regular red, white, yellow setup, or do you need the special progressive scan cables to set it up? Thanks.

Anonymous
Dan, in order to get all out of the progressive scan unit stay away from the composite (red,whilte, yellow cables) as that is the lowest of the 3 connections. I suggest you get either an S-Video or Componet (green, blue, yellow) cables. I assume your tv has these connections. The cables dont have to be monster but look for good quality ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us